Looking for a special blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I have an opportunity to make a few pens for some horse moms. It is a 4H riding group, called Bits & Bridles. I need 6 to 8 blanks, for Sierra, Monarch, Manhattan, etc. I would buy them, of course. I would like the 4H logo, and possibly B&B. They could be wood, or acrylic, or some casting. Thanks, Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbwertz

I taught a 4H horse group for ten years...taught English riding and jumping. It is so rewarding to see nine year olds who are maybe a bit timid, not much self confidence, absolutely blossom when they discover they can make a 1000 lb. horse obey them. That self confidence spreads into every aspect of their lives. I drove from Phoenix to Flagstaff every weekend to teach the group up there all summer long. I finally had to stop when I hit 73 and the altitude began to cause me problems.

Believe me, they will love the pens, no matter what they are made from. 4H Moms are the greatest!

Last edited:

sbwertz

If you will send the finished pens to me, I will use my laser to put each Mom's name and "Bits & Bridles" on each pen. I'll foot the postage back to you. I can't burn plastic. Only wood, and light colored wood works best, although I can fill the engraving with silver or gold on dark wood.

Rachgard

If you will send the finished pens to me, I will use my laser to put each Mom's name and "Bits & Bridles" on each pen. I'll foot the postage back to you. I can't burn plastic. Only wood, and light colored wood works best, although I can fill the engraving with silver or gold on dark wood.

How do you fill the engraving? Do you have a process?

sbwertz

I put a good, hard finish on it before I burn it. Then I use a gold or silver Sharpie to fill the burn, and just wipe off the excess with a tissue before it dries. If you have an open grained wood, make sure you have filled the grain, or put on enough coats of finish that there is a SMOOTH finish or the silver will get into the grain and you can't get it out. I've also used Rub n Buff paste, but I like the sharpies better.

Rachgard

I put a good, hard finish on it before I burn it. Then I use a gold or silver Sharpie to fill the burn, and just wipe off the excess with a tissue before it dries. If you have an open grained wood, make sure you have filled the grain, or put on enough coats of finish that there is a SMOOTH finish or the silver will get into the grain and you can't get it out. I've also used Rub n Buff paste, but I like the sharpies better.

This is awesome! I never would of thought of that but I bet that looks super nice! Thank you so much!

jimm1

Horse

I have this for a Sierra

Attachments

• 8A636F5F-9CD1-457E-9D15-EA293A076917.jpg
    8A636F5F-9CD1-457E-9D15-EA293A076917.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 113
Top Bottom