I guess sometimes you just have to reach out and ask for help.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
First, let me apologize for what must seem like begging. I will just put it all on the line here. I work in maintenance in a resort town in a resort that is over 1/4 mile long. I am 58. It is very hard and physical work. All I have ever known is work and my body is just getting worn out. I don't see that disability as being that far off for me. Trying to get prepared for that. I have a Harbor Freight Lathe that I have made 5 pens with so far. Slimline pens but they turned out pretty nice. Just seems something I am good at and enjoy. I think I have found an unique niche market for pens where I might be able to sell 4 or 5 a week for maybe $35. Maybe more if it works out. That would supplement my income a lot. So, what do I need. I need inexpensive pen blanks, decent but not fancy. I will pay for them, I just cannot pay a lot. Somehow I have to buy a carbide chisel. I guess I am saying if you have things laying around that you will never use then sell them to me for a decent price and help me out.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
I happen to have an old carbide tool that you can have, along with some other odds & ends.

Woodchipper

Send a PM with your address. I have some wood that I can cut for blanks. Some was in a odd-and-ends bin so I'm not sure what they are but you are welcome to a few blanks. I'll label what I do know.

wood128

Just saw this post. Boswell , I would also be happy to send you some wood for pen making . No need to pay any of us. At some future time , you might consider a small donation to IAP. We all like to help each other. Glad to hear you have a starter opportunity to make and sell a few pens. Do good quality work and your business should grow. Keep us posted. I am retired USAF and have spent time on active duty at Eglin AFB , so know the area well.....beautiful beaches and gulf water. Take care.

stonepecker

I will also send you a box of blanks. Mostly wood but I maybe able to find a 'special blank' or two. Be watching for the mailman.
Enjoy the hobby and Welcome to the fun.

magpens

Hi Boswell ...

I have a suggestion .....

.... rather than make and sell pens, why not make and sell Alumilite pen blanks to penmakers.

... or do both.

You see .... there are 25000 members of IAP who make pens and they all want to buy pen blanks.

And to do that, you don't have to get yourself set up at craft shows, or get a website, or find buyers to buy your pens (which I think is the hardest part). . And you don't have to keep your tools sharp because you won't need them any more.

Learn to make nice pen blanks (and I would suggest the material Alumilite poured into molds), and you can sell them here on IAP to us 25000 people. . You will need to make or buy some molds, and you will need to buy a pressure pot, and perhaps a vacuum chamber.

You can get some inspiration by looking at some of the hand made pen blanks that go up for sale here occasionally .... they never go begging for a buyer !

One of our members makes a good living at this .... he sells his products mainly to some of our most well known vendors, and he has occasionally sold some directly here

..... he has a website of his own also .....

..... Lava Lamps - MuttBlanks.com

Last edited:

stickles86

I just want to say this is awesome to see so many of you helping like this. I started turning a few months ago and I check out this site a few times per week... so I'm sure I'll see more of this great community as time goes on.

It also makes me want to keep building my stash so I can help out later! I just need to show my wife this thread so she isn't so worried about me becoming a "hoarder".... :)

NLAlston

I too, would like to help you out.

I don't have any fancy pen blanks, at my disposal, but I CAN send you some 'Red Grandis' pen blanks, as well as a few Walnut blanks. Get your mailing address to me, and I will have a box on its way to you, pronto.

Update.

I, just now, read through ALL of the posts, here, and found that you had listed your mailing address, in one of them. So, within the next day, or two, I WILL have a box off to you.

Last edited:

MrBubblehead

I am fairly new here and i cant say ive ever seen a grouo of people step up so much to help one person. You guys are awesome.

Top Bottom