A handle and wand that accepts non-proproietary carbide inserts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

I am sure that I am not describing this correctly.
I use EWT (all 3), the shortest ones. I found an inexpensive source for the square and square radius carbide inserts. However, I can't find a source to replace the EWT round/finishing cutters. I was hoping to pay someone to make me a tool (handle and steel shank/wand) that will accommodate the non-proprietary round carbide cutters. As you know, the EWT and the like go for $16; I have seem similar for $4 to $7 each.

Thanks for reading and bearing with my ignorance of the terminology.
I do not have any interest in learning how to build one myself.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

Capt Eddie us a good source. There are cheaper round cutters for your current tool.

That said, I've tried the knockoffs and I'm sticking with the EWT brand. I'm convinced their better.

kovalcik

I get my round, square and R2 cutters for the EWT easy-start tools from Captain Eddie
Big Guy Productions - *
His price is $18 for a set of 3

Edgar

He also has the bars to mount hte cutters. You have to turn your own handle. He has been in the hospital so he may be slow responding for a few days, but if he has them already made, I think his wife is still shipping orders.

kovalcik

Capt Eddie us a good source. There are cheaper round cutters for your current tool.

That said, I've tried the knockoffs and I'm sticking with the EWT brand. I'm convinced their better.

Hi Dan,

I have never tried EW tools, but have been happy with the knock offs, though I don't use them that much. Mostly for hollowing. Can you elaborate on the differences you have seen?

Thanks

(Sorry for the hijack, if this gets too involved we can start a new thread.)

turncrazy43

I have used both EWT inserts and Capt Eddie's inserts in my EWT handles and one from PSI. The EW inserts may be slightly better and last a bit longer. However, for the price difference I prefer the ones from Capt Eddie.

TonyL

Thank you. I just called C. Eddie. I will give them a try. I find the EWT round cutter to yield about 30 pens if i sharpen them two or three times. I mainly turn plastics (98% of the time). I get more if I just turn AA, but I find the acrylester and inlace blanks to blow-out when the cutters aren't as sharp. Could just be my experience.

Signguy

I just got some from AZ carbide as well.

Given the huge price difference between them and the EWT ones seems like even if they don't last quite as long it will still cost out better.

I have not had much luck with sharpening any of the cutters though - I assume you are using a diamond card? If so, what grit, and what is the process you use?

Thanks!

TonyL

OldMan5050 advised me to by the orange, black, and grey one from Lowes 29.95.
Just a small drop of water then a figure 8 pattern....20 or so times.

Signguy

Sorry to be dense - but is that done on all three cards in sequence from coarsest to finest?

Or just using one card (and if so which)?

Thanks!

Top Bottom