Hand wood working tools

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

endacoz

I continue to get more and more into working with wood in a variety of ways.

Recently I am had the urge to learn more old school hand techniques. I don't have much at all in the way of hand tools.

I have 2 small stanley block planes, that I have started to flatten and work on.

I was wondering if anyone had some hand tools they aren't using. I am not looking to spend a fortune or for the best of the best. I am looking for some quality tools that can help get me started in this ever expanding yet appreciative world of wood working.

Interested in.

Various Planes, shoulder / rabbit, block, jack etc
Card Scraper
Spoke Shave
Marking Guage
Decent chisels for joinery
Sliding bevel gauge
Japenese / dovedail saw.

Thanks for looking

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Ethan the tools you mentioned are really not that expensive. Harbor Freight will have them. The other tools need not be top quality. Where you can get into some expense would be the planes. Look on ebay or even Craigs list. If you have flee markets you can find planes all the time. Now you will need a good sharpening system to hone the blades and that includes the card scraper and such. A good set of Buck chisels with a nice wooden mallet will work fine.

Last edited:

Loucurr

Trade

Ethan...here are a few that I am willing to part with. I am looking for a bowl gouge.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    70.8 KB · Views: 132

Rchan63

Ethan

I have most of what you are looking for. How much you are willing to spend?
I have a full set of Pinnicle chisels 8 pcs if I remember correctly. How is 65.00 sound?
I also have some extra Stanley Bailey plane from hand planes, Millers Fall, marking and bevel gauge.
BTW the planes will need tuning up.

Richard

Sprung

Ethan, I should have a couple/few planes that I can part with - #4 and #5 sizes. They are, however, in need of a little restoration/clean-up, but are all complete. I can get some pictures today or tomorrow, if a restoration project would be ok with you. I'll even be up in the Cities on Monday, so we could even possibly meet somewhere to save on shipping.

plantman

Ethan; Being a collector, I have thousands of tools and planes. Most are restored or mint in box. However I also have many, that are restored and not that expensive, that I would be willing to sell or trade. Your best bet for finding tools may be garage, estate, or rummage sales, as people are wanting to get rid of these items and will take offers below the asking price. If you intend to use them for personal use, buy the best you can afford at the time. You really don't need a large number of planes to start with, just the correct ones. Just starting out, I would stick to the Stanley or early Craftsman brands, as replacement parts can still be ordered, even for the older tools. If you are going to start with rough lumber I would suggest a #8 or #7 for roughing, a #3 or #4 for smoothing, and some finishing planes. Both regular and low angle for cross and hard grain woods. Instead of buying a lot of odd beading or plow planes, I would look for a Stanley #45 or #55 plane with all the cutters, may be a little pricey, but will allow you to make anything once mastered and will replace hundreds of planes with one tool!! When buying used tools there are many things to look for. Is the sole straight, is there any life left in the blade. If it is to short, it will never stay sharp for long. Are all the parts there and do the adjustment work correctly. Are there any chips near the mouth or on the sole. Are the wooden handles cracked or missing. New ones can be made or purchased. Is the sole or iron rusted or pitted. If it is a wooden soled plane, is it unevenly worn or the mouth opened to large that it won't take a nice shaving without plugging up. There are many good videos on you tube on how to restore planes and how to adjust and use them including the Stanley #45. Let me know if there is anything I can help you with. Jim S

Last edited:

Dan Masshardt

I'm in a similar place and moving into furniture making.

It's hard to decide whether to go with older standby tools and spend some time getting them up to par or get some newer premium quality tools.

For me, I think it's going to be the newer tools for the mainstays and then maybe some older Stanleys for the lesser used stuff.

plantman

I'm in a similar place and moving into furniture making.

It's hard to decide whether to go with older standby tools and spend some time getting them up to par or get some newer premium quality tools.

For me, I think it's going to be the newer tools for the mainstays and then maybe some older Stanleys for the lesser used stuff.

Dan; Unless you are talking about some really premium and expensive tools, there are few that can be taken out of the box and used without some fine tuning and adjustments. Your going to spend some time one way or another, so why not spend less and learn more. The old tools will work as well or better than some of the new ones. Speaking from past experiences. Jim S

JimB

You should check out the estate sales in your area. I go to estate sales on a regular basis and see all kinds of new and vintage hand tools and power tools. I have bought tools for turning and well as some other basic hand tools and usually get them for about 80% off retail.

I use estatesales.net to find the sales in my area. They list what they have for each sale and around here they have pictures of many of the items. You will just need to be patient to find a sale with tools.

Dan Masshardt

Dan; Unless you are talking about some really premium and expensive tools, there are few that can be taken out of the box and used without some fine tuning and adjustments. Your going to spend some time one way or another, so why not spend less and learn more. The old tools will work as well or better than some of the new ones. Speaking from past experiences. Jim S
This is a huge subject itself of course.

But the couple premium tools I have have been ready to go out of the box. A bit of honing and off we go. The price though....

You are right though that you learn more about them in the process of tuning up efc.

Last edited:

endacoz

I'll keep my eye out for estate sale, garage sales and craigslist.

I keep watching more videos, THANKS DAN.

Plantman I've PMed about a few things.

Top Bottom