GIFT: Pen Blanks for Postage

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I was given A LOT of small cut-offs from a local kitchen remodeler/cabinet maker.

And since I needed practice doing repetitive cuts on my table saw... About 300 pen blanks later, I'm still cutting.

So, for the cost of postage, $5.95 (small flat rate box), they are ava to anyone. 22 blanks for 5 1/4". Less for odd shapes.

NOTE: They consist of mostly Oak, Hard Maple, some Cherry, and some Teak (an old chair found on the curb).

I won't take orders, so for postage, there will be a mix. Some of the Teak is odd sizes, so less will be in the boxes.

Anyone interested, PM me and I'll provide pay pal info.

There are NOT spectacular blanks by any means. Good for practice for beginners, fine for dying/staining, etc.

264 blanks mailed: have about 250 more ava. AND, Since it seems folks appreciate this, I'll stop by the shop and ask/beg... (and maybe leave a few pens!!!)

As of 9/9/2015 - I have lots more.

Attachments

• IMG_2299.jpg
    IMG_2299.jpg
    359 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_2298.jpg
    IMG_2298.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_2300.jpg
    IMG_2300.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_2301.jpg
    IMG_2301.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_2302.jpg
    IMG_2302.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:

Skie_M

I'll take 2 ... these will be great for my Freedom Pens!

I was wanting to get my hands on some cherry to see how that turns, so this is perfect! :)

TonyL

There's a new young kid from Arizona who is just starting. If he wants them, I will pay the postage.

dthayer

If you have any left, I'll take some! I'm just getting my lathe this weekend and I'll need LOOOTTTTTTs of practice!! :redface:

dirk

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hi, Have about 450 blanks left! :eek::eek::eek:! And they cost me nothing.

So PM me your address; # of boxes; and if you want any "cherry picked."

I have 3 boxes for "dthayer" going out in the AM.

As I said, not incredibe blanks, but fun to play with! (And some will be nice).

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Stonepecker - 2 boxes will be for you (PM me your address)

TonyL: Got you covered if you need

Skie M: 2 boxes will be for you (PM me your address)

176 down... 224 to go = 10 more boxes! Before I cut more :tongue:

"Wifey" likes a clean garage!!!

TonyL

Thank you. However, I don't remember the "kids"...other than he was 12.

Maybe the gal who teaches the sight-impaired to turn wants them.....same offer.

Skie_M

How about we send some blanks off to all those kids who put pens into the SE youngster contest too? :)

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Got more cut-offs to... cut up!

I dropped these off at the cabinet shop - and they gave me more cut-offs!

Probably have enough for 200 more blanks, so... probably have 400 left. Not exactly burl quality but this is what I gave the guys - made from their maple, oak and Walnut!

They do fantastic work themselves (They did LeBron James' Kitchen - 15 miles away). So while it may be hard to impress them with a few pens, they were very happy.

View in Gallery

Offer good until they are gone! :)

View in Gallery

Skie_M

They look gorgeous .... as do the blanks I got! :)

My question is .... why was there a blank marked " ? :) " in the box?

Skie_M

It's an open grained wood, very dark in appearance .... I don't see any eyes in it, though.

I was thinking, it looks a bit like the Ukranian Bog Oak that's up for group buy .... did you have any of that laying about from last time?

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
It's an open grained wood, very dark in appearance .... I don't see any eyes in it, though.

I was thinking, it looks a bit like the Ukranian Bog Oak that's up for group buy .... did you have any of that laying about from last time?

Hi Greg. Been trying to identify it. My best guess is that it is Wenge that I got at a random sale at a local Woodcraft. I have more of the board, so I think this is a decent guess.

But... I may be wrong! :redface:

Skie_M

Actually, I've had it sitting on a block of wenge at the moment ... (bottle blank from PSI). The only reason I didn't mention wenge is .... this block is TOTALLY COVERED in wax, so I can't clearly see the grain. :p

TonyL

Thank you Mark. The blanks are great. I never turned some of these woods. Thank you very much!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Thank you Mark. The blanks are great. I never turned some of these woods. Thank you very much!

You are very welcome Tony!

20 boxes have shipped for postage - about 400 blanks.

...But the cabinet shop gave me enough to probably cut 400 more, so I'll keep this available for anyone who "needs" the practice before going to the "good" stash! For me, I really wanted to improve my rable saw skills, and this is perfect, practice safety - over and over and over. I use a Gripper Tool, and feel much more comfortable with taking thin slice cuts for segmenting.

So, the offer stands for anyone interested.

TonyL

I never turned black walnut. My friend was telling me how it is used for gun handles. I am going to try the plexitone finish on it.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
That came from a tree that was cut down locally and the small stuff was left for months... I drove buy it every day, then 2 years ago asked if I could help clean up the "scrap"... "Are you kidding" It's yours!

I anchorsealed after cutting into 12" lengths. Have about 40 sections from 2" in diameter to 9" in diameter. After 2 years, I just cut the first one and I was... "Pleased."

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

I've been too busy to turn any yet, so let me know how it works out. Please note Tony (and whoever else I sent some to), these are "road kill," not stabilized, just ends sealed and on the shelf for 2 1/2 years.

Have FUN!

bspeer

Any chance you could send a box up north to Canada? I'm a beginner turner and it would be awesome to have some "practice" blanks to master before I move on to more costly blanks.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Any chance you could send a box up north to Canada? I'm a beginner turner and it would be awesome to have some "practice" blanks to master before I move on to more costly blanks.

Let me check if there are things I need to do to ship "wood" to Canada. I have no problem - just want to make sure we do it correctly.

Mark

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Mark, if you're willing, I'd love a box as well...

Definitely no bark allowed, though! :)

Only have about 2,000 left :eek: After I gave them some pens now I am their official dumpster diver (actually, they sort and throw the hardwoods into garbage cans with my name on them).

PM to follow!

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
start cutting them 11 inches long and fill medium flat rate boxes. $12.00 apx for shipping and you get apx 145-150 blanks.

Top Bottom