Gift for the New Year

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Happy New Year!

This is my opportunity to give back to the best online community around. I have been turning for about seven years and wanted to give some lucky individual a good all around "package" that has both acrylic, wood, and both beginner and more 'advanced' pen kits. I have also included bushings need for the 2 slimline kits and the 1 Jr. Gent I kit. Shipping is also on me so this is a win win situation!

So you ask, "What do I have to do?"

It is simple. Just reply to this post with an answer to this question:

How has the IAP community made you a better pen maker?

You have until Sunday night at midnight to reply (01/04/2014 at 12:00 midnight Pacific Time).

See attached for what is included in the goodie box.

Robert

Pen.jpg

PS...For me, the answer to the question is the IAP showed me how to get the best CA finish on my pens (from the 100 methods and ideas out there).

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

H2O

I've been reading and haven't responded to anyone's posts, not because they don't deserve recognition, but because I haven't made a pen, yet and don't figure people want opinions from someone that hasn't passed the initiation of doing such.
However, I'm compelled to respond to this post.
I'm amazed at the generosity of this group and the willingness to help others. I've personally received a lot of encouragement and have gained some great information that I hope will advance my ability.
Since I haven't completed a pen, I don't qualify for this great gift, but I'm sure the recipient will be thankful, and I hope to someday be able to offer help and possibly a wonderful gift as this.
Thank you to everyone here.

edicehouse

IAP was about my first exposure to actual pen making. I saw some videos on youtube, but did not learn the down and dirty. I have made several friends who often give me advice on how to do things. Group meets sponsored by IAP have been huge.

I think above all it gave me and my daughters something worth bonding over.

If I win please send the gift to GaryMGg for turn for the troops.

Rockytime

If it were not for happening upon IAP buy accident I would never have even thought to turn pens. IAP has been really good to me.

Hi Dan,

Welcome to the IAP...looking forward to seeing your first pen! Be sure to save it as my only regret is not saving my first pen.

You are in the running for the box!

Robert

Karl_99

I had just started turning pens and found this site. I have learned alot and found the encouragement to try new techniques. I have met a number of wonderful people who have generously shared their knowledge.

wyone

I also happened onto IAP by accident. I had received a special birthday gift from my wife for my 55th birthday that inspired me to try pen making. I was very excited and when I started I had a failure or two, then three.. and was basically giving up. I watched videos and learned some things.. but still was truly ready to give up making pens.

I read a few articles here and finally joined so I could ask a question or two. I was shocked when I got a response almost immediately. And then another and then another and here I was .. a total newbie... no experience... and not known by anyone.. and these people... not sure average people.. but expert turners... and business owners are reaching out to me to give me advice and in a manner that was not demeaning, but very constructive.

I love IAP and would not be turning pens, or bowls for that matter if it was not for IAP.

Thank you one and all!

camb

After suffering a stroke 6 years ago I don't know what I would have done if I hadn't of accidentally ran across the IAP community and penturning.I had no hobbies till then.Now I'm turning and spending lol Jeff

Califo

In a nutshell, I am still learning. I log onto this site daily. And everyday I pick up some new skill or new ideas on how to develop my skills.

This is a great community.

mjrbuzz

As a complete noobie, I have to say that the whole "brother/sisterhood" of the group is very inspiring. Alot of you guys and gals are artist to the utmost use of the word and yet take you time to show/tell some of your "secrets" so that the learning curve is not as steep as it in all reality should be. I am a wood guy through and through, always have widdled here and there, but seeing the quality of your work makes me want to produce something that i would not be embarrassed to post up on here for the real critics with an eye for perfection.

2ndFloor

IAP has introduced me to the art of pen making. I recently purchased a lathe that came with some pen components. I turned a few straight pens only to begin to get bored. Once I discovered this website and the countless designs possible for a given pen, I returned to the lathe through attempting to upgrade my designs.

Another item that I learned of here is micro-mesh, helps get an unbelievable finish on acrylic pens.

Thank you all for the inspiration,

Steve

endacoz

I started by just learning from watching YouTube just overy a year ago. But after joining the IAP, reading and interacting with other members from around the world my quality increased greatly.

I have yet to talk in person with another turner (other than in line at Rocker) and you guys are my family as I am addicted to woodworking! Thanks for encouraging my addiction IAP!

Signoreandrew

I happened upon IAP from a local wood craft meeting (not really local over an hour away) and a member said I should join. I never new what pen turning Was really like til I joined this family. I think this site is my little escape ( when I'm not in my shop) I've never heard any negativity in this family and that is rare these days thanks for being here IAP and thanks for doing this give away Robert

Cwalker935

The IAP community has introduced me to new styles and techniques, amazed me with its collective creativity, challenged me to do better work, warmed my heart with its caring for others, and amused me with its occasional spats.

Notnate

I started turning pens in May of "last year", weird calling it that, and was fortunate enough to find the IAP early in my efforts. When i started woodworking a year and 3 months ago, it was important to me and my better half that it pay for itself in some way, and though it took nearly 6 months to find a way to do that. Pens became that for me, and since starting and joining here i have turned nearly 300 pens and sold all but about 50 of them, consequently paying for an almost entirely new shop. IAP has been invaluable in this process as i looked for advice, hints, tricks, and tips. Every question has been met with respect, i have seen tons of giveaways go out (remember i have only ben here about 7 months), and was even the recipient of a newbie giveaway. I have downloaded almost the entire library of PDFs for reference, and I buy from members regularly. The amazing pool of people that the IAP has never ceases to astound me, and this time is no different.

All in all, thank you IAP community for all that you do in sharing your experience and expertise! And thank you Robert Sherlock for sharing, good luck and Happy New Year to all!

Nathan

Last edited:

OLDMAN5050

Passed Away May 15, 2019
In Memoriam
I have met some great people that without this forum wouldn't have taken place, became good friends and shared ideas and had some as my wife calls them"old man's" meetings. I have learned a bunch at the old man's meeting. Thanks to IAP.

lorbay

I could turn a pen or 2 when I found the IAP, but then this site opened up a whole new world to me and pen making mostly due to the wealth of knowledge on this site. Thank you IAP.
Lin.

alankulwicki7

I started turning small things about 7 years ago. I gathered most of my turning info from a couple of other sites but when I ran into finish questions for pens, someone steered me to the IAP. I found the answers to those questions and much more from the great members and quality information at IAP. The IAP has expanded my knowledge on pens and turning alike :biggrin:

Since I already have enough turning supplies, please do not put my name in the hat. I just wanted to answer the question!:biggrin:

louie68

For me i learn so much from this IAP site, from ED Brown, Mesquite Man, Ect. Lenny,there is so much knowledge here endless learning.

jaeger

"HOW HAS THE IAP MADE ME A BETTER PEN MAKER?"

I would say my top answer would be by being here 24/7 since I've joined.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Animyzo

The IAP has helped me incredibly sinice I have joined. When I started turning pens, I started with a cheap lathe and slimline kits. Since joining I have evolved and taken the leap to more adventurous kits. In the last month of last year I stepped into making acrylic pens and taking a shot at the more expensive kits that previously I wouldn't have touched. The community is super supportive. I also learned and adopted numerous techniques for finishing. When I started, I only ever used polyurethane.

IN addition to becoming a better pen turner, I have made a good deal of friends on here and they have helped me with other projects.

Lastly, When I finish processing and stabilising my bounty of cherry burl, I see a give away in my future as well.

Okay folks...I put all 19 names "in" the hat and I pulled out number...

Congratulations to
Notnate!! Nathan, I'll send you a PM to get your address information.

Thank you all for playing. It was great reading all of your answers. The IAP is such a big family of people helping each other out.

Robert

See below for a screen shot of the random number generator used.
IAP.png

plano_harry

I don't need your generous prize, because I have already deluded myself into purchasing too much raw materials, but I have to say that everything I know about pen making I learned from the generous pioneers on IAP. So thanks to all!

Notnate

Wow! The package arrived today heavy 2 extra shorty blanks, 1 amboyna burl and one 2 tone wood i cannot read and am not familiar with. Everything looks beautiful, my wife is already trying to make claims on about half of the items made with them and my daughter will want to claim whats left when she sees them lol. This time though i think i will be selfish for once and keep the first choice for myself. Thanks for the gift once again Robert, Christmas and my Birthday all balled into one! :D

I will have to post that Jr. Gent after i get it made, if i can figure out how to post pics that is lol.

Top Bottom