Four Jaw Chuck

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kragax

I'm looking for a used, and hopefully affordable four jaw chuck that will allow me to drill blanks on the lathe. I have a HF lathe with a MT2 headstock.
Something that even bolts to the faceplate would be okay, I have to do this on the cheap as I'm on a fixed income, and not that big of one too boot. So if you know of one please give me a shout. Thanks,.....Craig

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

You'll need to tell the spindle size to get a compatible chuck. I'm guessing it's 1" x 8. You should be able to find it in your manual, or on a spec sheet.

JimB

A 4 jaw chuck screws onto the head stock so the MT isn't what's important. You need to know the threading of the headstock. Even a cheap one isn't really cheap.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
As Jim noted, 4-jaw chucks aren't cheap - even used. But you never know, sometimes bargains do turn up.

Just in case you aren't able to score one in your budget, there are a couple of other alternatives. You can buy a new "pen blank chuck" for $71.70 at Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/PSI-Woodworki...1430236962&sr=1-1&keywords=pen+drilling+chuck

It's a 2-jaw chuck & not nearly as versatile as a 4-jaw chuck, but it's fine for drilling pen blanks.

An even cheaper alternative is to buy a second MT2 Jacobs chuck to hold the pen blank in the head stock. You will need to first mount the blank between centers and turn a short tenon on one end a little under 1/2", but then you can use a Jacobs chuck to hold it while you drill. You can get one from Harbor Freight for $15.00 & sometimes you can find them on sale.
1/2" MT2 Mini-Lathe Drill Chuck

Best wishes
Edgar

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Taig makes a 4 jaw scroll chuck for around $75.00 and shipping. You will need an mt2 to 3/4 16 adapter. Both are available on line. Ebay if nothing else. it will still run you $100+ to do it this way. Dont know if your budget allows this or not. Used ones are hard to come by.

larryc

As Jim noted, 4-jaw chucks aren't cheap - even used. But you never know, sometimes bargains do turn up.

Just in case you aren't able to score one in your budget, there are a couple of other alternatives. You can buy a new "pen blank chuck" for $71.70 at Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/PSI-Woodworki...1430236962&sr=1-1&keywords=pen+drilling+chuck

It's a 2-jaw chuck & not nearly as versatile as a 4-jaw chuck, but it's fine for drilling pen blanks.

I've had two of these and the jaws sprung on both of them.

An even cheaper alternative is to buy a second MT2 Jacobs chuck to hold the pen blank in the head stock. You will need to first mount the blank between centers and turn a short tenon on one end a little under 1/2", but then you can use a Jacobs chuck to hold it while you drill. You can get one from Harbor Freight for $15.00 & sometimes you can find them on sale.

Best wishes
Edgar

Just my 2 cents

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member

Amazon.com: PSI Woodworking Products CSCPENCHK Dedicated Pen Drilling Lathe Chuck: Home Improvement

Best wishes
Edgar

Just my 2 cents

Thanks Larry,
That's good to know.
I have no need or interest in one for myself, but I'll definitely keep that in mind anytime someone asks in the future. There's a reason for the old saying of getting what you pay for.

Edgar

Jim Smith

I actually may have a good Nova Midi 4 jaw chuck for you if you are interested. I will check this evening and PM you the particulars with the price.

Jim Smith

thewishman

Amazon.com: PSI Woodworking Products CSCPENCHK Dedicated Pen Drilling Lathe Chuck: Home Improvement

Best wishes
Edgar

Just my 2 cents

Thanks Larry,
That's good to know.
I have no need or interest in one for myself, but I'll definitely keep that in mind anytime someone asks in the future. There's a reason for the old saying of getting what you pay for.

Edgar

I got one used and have used it for more than a year with hundreds of blanks and it works VERY well. I would highly recommend it.:)

Top Bottom