Figured, spalted, or otherwise interesting apple wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ssalvage

I will be making a pen for a music teacher, and following the "teacher cliche," I want to make it out of apple wood.

It appears to be a little more difficult to locate than I originally anticipated. Can't find it on the usual larger sources, and places like ebay are only selling in larger bulk stashes. Additionally the options I see currently are not all that interesting to look at.

Anyone have 1 or 2 interesting pieces they would be willing to sell/trade/part with?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gbpens

Apple wood is a hard wood, light in color with very little grain pattern. The best I have is called Thorn Apple, but again not a very interesting piece. It has a bit of brown staining running through it. Used only two of five pieces in 10 years. If you are interested PM me.

1080Wayne

Apple can have unusual spalt patterns , that I find attractive . Have some , but you should be able to find it closer to you . Thorn apple is another name for hawthorn or May tree , somewhat similar in appearance , but not an apple .

robutacion

I will be making a pen for a music teacher, and following the "teacher cliche," I want to make it out of apple wood.

It appears to be a little more difficult to locate than I originally anticipated. Can't find it on the usual larger sources, and places like ebay are only selling in larger bulk stashes. Additionally the options I see currently are not all that interesting to look at.

Anyone have 1 or 2 interesting pieces they would be willing to sell/trade/part with?

Well, I have a few different species of Apple tree, McIntosh, Lady Apple, Granny Smith, spalted, not spalted, raw, stabilized, dyed, etc. have a look on my web-store address on my signature

Good luck,
Cheers
George

Sprung

I just pulled a bunch of spalted apple out of my little kiln a couple weeks ago - came from a tree in our backyard that is dying and it was already nicely spalted when cut.

I will get some pictures of some blanks for you when I have a chance today.

Sprung

Pulled these pieces out of my box of spalted apple over lunch for your consideration. Sent a PM.

Attachments

• SA1.jpg
    SA1.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 166
  • SA2.jpg
    SA2.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 145
Top Bottom