A few B+W Checkered Flag Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chriselle

If anyone has a few black and white checkered flag blanks that they aren't planning on using I'll gladly take them as I have an urgent request from a customer. Shipping would be to Japan. Thank you.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

H2O

Page 108 item U in the catalog. They are listed with the geo blanks.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

There are only 2 reviews on them there but they are not good. If i recall Ed sells them also but they are round. I bought a few some time ago and I think they were from him but i have not been able to turn them yet due to no shop time. So I can not comment on those. Just looked at his site and could not find them. Now i do not remember who I bought them from. The mind is a terrible thing to waste. Not much help I guess.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
There are only 2 reviews on them there but they are not good. If i recall Ed sells them also but they are round. I bought a few some time ago and I think they were from him but i have not been able to turn them yet due to no shop time. So I can not comment on those. Just looked at his site and could not find them. Now i do not remember who I bought them from. The mind is a terrible thing to waste. Not much help I guess.
I think it should be noted that, these blanks are made from black & white squares that, are glued together. I would wrap them with tape before drilling them.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
We (Exotics) had them, but I was not happy with the quality. I'd be a buyer from PSI, if the product is good (Ed Levy has more clout than Ed Brown when the product is "marginal"!! He may have gotten the manufacturer to do a better job.) The reviews are not very favorable, but they both recommend the product---I'm confused!!

Comments on this product from those who have used it would be appreciated!!
Ed

jttheclockman

We (Exotics) had them, but I was not happy with the quality. I'd be a buyer from PSI, if the product is good (Ed Levy has more clout than Ed Brown when the product is "marginal"!! He may have gotten the manufacturer to do a better job.) The reviews are not very favorable, but they both recommend the product---I'm confused!!

Ed

Ed I am sorry to hear of this. Very disappointing to hear. What was wrong with the blanks you sold. It was you that I bought quite a few from and they are round. As I said I have not been able to turn them yet but planned on using for a few projects. Are these the same blanks as PSI then???

Let me ask you this then too. In those orders I bought the blue and white stars blanks. Are they made by the same person and should I be worried about those too?? Have a couple highend projects that I want to use all these blanks on.:confused:

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
As far as I know, there was only one company in the world making them. We had many that were not centered and many that were well under 3/4". We separated those out, they were not sold (which made the whole product a loss).

The ones we SOLD had no visible defects, and they were the "biggest" ones.

To be clear, PSI is big enough to get them made at a different factory---I am hoping that is what they did---then we will buy them from PSI.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I just read those reviews. The first one was valid in that, there were bubbles in the blank. The 2nd one blamed the failure in turning on the material.

Chris is going to flip when he sees this thread. :biggrin:

Curly

Chris you could make it with polymer clay if you can get some in your neighbourhood. Marla did a pen with some a long time ago and it might be faster than waiting for a blank to come from the US. Form the poly clay into square rods and cut little squares and stick them to the tube, bake, cool, turn and CA finish.

Crashmph

Ed

I think I bought the last two from your inventory. They are not the greatest blanks. I had to"re-glue" both of them together after the rolled off the bench. Both hit my padded floor and then landed on concrete. One broke into 3 pieces and the other in 2 pieces. One break was at the glue line were the other two breaks were in the middle of resin, not on a glue line.

For drilling, I taped them up and was overly cautious with a skew. One turned out well and the other did not. Oh well.

jttheclockman

Last edited:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I guess you could always make your own. Example.

http://www.penturners.org/photos/index.php?n=24385

Exactly what I just told Ed. :wink:

You have to excuse me Chuck I am slow. I say then good advice. I second what Chuck said:) I am on board all the way. (Just hope this is not the Loser Train already pulling into town:biggrin:)
No John...,it was a PM :biggrin: But, a classic example....great minds think alike :biggrin:

Could this be an opportunity for a segmented blank making challenge? Chris indicates he needs more than one. I would be willing to try one. Anyone else?

Last edited:

chriselle

Hey guys, Sorry for not chiming in...away today sheep herding with the dogs.
Ya, Ed was kind enough to pm me and give me the lowdown. Pete, I'm not nearly that motivated to get into PC sourcing and making. ..haha
Thanks Chuck for the PSI link. No image,,but I'll take it they are similar except square.

Although this is an urgent request the customer's budget is rather modest so if decent blanks prove difficult to find, as they appear to be, then oh well.... I have some mosaic blanks I'll show her.

No need to get too ambitious Chuck..:biggrin:

Top Bottom