"does anyone have..." or "where can I buy..."

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Robert Taylor

After JT's thread about the guitar cases it reminded me of the cases that I saved for "Tommy Gun" pens. I can not find anyone selling the Tommy gun kits at this time. If anyone has any they would like to sell please let me know.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Do you have a photo?? Wasn't the violin case used as the tommy gun case?? If so they are not to be found either. At least I have no leads.

Robert Taylor

Tommy Gun Kit

Do you have a photo?? Wasn't the violin case used as the tommy gun case?? If so they are not to be found either. At least I have no leads.

I have four of the violin cases and had planned to get the Tommy gun kits to go with them. However as it always seems to do work got in the way. I am retired now and either need to get them done or part with the cases.

Attachments

• il_fullxfull_524224070_hj6c (Mobile).jpg
    il_fullxfull_524224070_hj6c (Mobile).jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 171

jttheclockman

I have four of the violin cases and had planned to get the Tommy gun kits to go with them. However as it always seems to do work got in the way. I am retired now and either need to get them done or part with the cases.

Is that what the tommy gun kit looks like??? Did you check all the laser kit makers. Maybe you can contact Ken at Kallenshaanwoods.

Skie_M

I did speak with Ken as he is the one that made the kits. "Tommy" gun is a registered trademark and apparently protected like "Ohio State" or "Mickey Mouse".

Seriously? Did the Mob actually register that as a trademark?

You know, those patents actually expire after about 15 years .... :biggrin:

jttheclockman

I did speak with Ken as he is the one that made the kits. "Tommy" gun is a registered trademark and apparently protected like "Ohio State" or "Mickey Mouse".

Does this mean he had a stop making order???? As I mentioned in my other thread I too talked to him and he told me he will be bringing the guitar cases back as soon as he finds a company that will do the inserts for him. Evidently they do not come with the inserts. :) He has had many requests for them again.

Robert Taylor

Tommy guns

Seriously? Did the Mob actually register that as a trademark?

You know, those patents actually expire after about 15 years .... :biggrin:

I'm Sure that the "Mob" did NOT register the name, However Thompson Machine did. They are still in business today and you CAN still buy a "Chicago Typewriter". I have a friend that bought one earlier this year.

Robert Taylor

Tommy gun kits

Does this mean he had a stop making order???? As I mentioned in my other thread I too talked to him and he told me he will be bringing the guitar cases back as soon as he finds a company that will do the inserts for him. Evidently they do not come with the inserts. :) He has had many requests for them again.

Ken stopped making the kits just over a year ago. He said that he received a "Cease and Desist" order. and attempted to buy back all unsold kits from his vendor's. He said that satisfied Thompson and he has no desire to make more. A few would not sell them back as they felt that they would be worth a fortune. There is a guy on Etsy and another on Ebay selling completed pens, it might even be the same guy since the selling price and photos appear to be the same. Guitar and violin cases would still be great for musical themed pens.

Skie_M

I still have no idea how Thompson still has a valid copyright on something that's 50 friggin years old ... And not only that, it's slang vernacular ... since when did they copyright and adopt the slang naming of their gun? That's straight up stupid.

Robert Taylor

Copywrights

I still have no idea how Thompson still has a valid copyright on something that's 50 friggin years old ... And not only that, it's slang vernacular ... since when did they copyright and adopt the slang naming of their gun? That's straight up stupid.

I am NOT a lawyer or involved in the legal profession. When going through a divorce many years back I argued with my lawyer that things did NOT make sense, "She can't do that it is just not right" His reply was "Oh yes she can. We are not talking about right or wrong, we are talking about the Law". What a wake-up call that was. You have my blessing to purchase the equipment and sell tommy gun, Disney, Ohio State Coke A Cola and other well known items. They will sell faster than you can produce them. You can do it legally by obtaining a license, oops there goes the profits or get a knock on the door as others have. This thread however is about finding if there are any stray kits for sale.

Last edited:

Penultimate

Greetings
Tommy Gun is a registered trademark of Saeilo Corp in the firearms category, I checked on the USPTO site. A trademark can be owned forever as long as the mark is in use on product and the owner pays the renewal fees. A company must be diligent in defending their mark from becoming generic by searching out incorrect use, sending cease and desist orders, and/or threatening litigation. If a company can show this action, another company cannot claim the TM is generic.

The company I work for constantly searches for TM misuse and sends out C&D's to protect our marks.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Copyrights do not expire they last for something like 70 years after the death of the owner. Patents expire after 17 years. Tommy gun is a trade mark and has always referred to a particular specific firearm it is not a general term relating to many military automatic weapons like "assault rifle" Trade marks don't expire either as long as they are used.

Last edited:
Top Bottom