Custom blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Erik831

I was wondering if anyone here can make a blank like this. 3/4" square by 5". And how much would it cost ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 199
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

Yikes ... a quadruple screw blank... That looks to be just a tad bit complicated and VERY expensive.

It may be less expensive to try to do that with inlay (blue and red on white background).

I saw a video online explaining how to do a 2-part screw blank design, where 2 spirals get wound round each other and then they get glued in place by acrylic casting ... he also did several with just one screw suspended round the barrel tube, so that the clear acrylic was transparent around the wooden screw. The cutter was kinda tricky to manage, as I recall.

By changing the angle of reference, you could incorporate more than 2 spirals of varying thicknesses and possibly create a design just like that ... it may be that the same person who made that video happened to make that blank. In fact, he teaches a class and makes pens out of acrylic cast lego pen blanks and worthless wood cast blanks all the time. I don't recall where, but if you can contact him it might net you a few blanks like what you're looking for.

edit- Video Link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAXPJs7igAk scroll to 11:20 to see the spiral pen.

Last edited:

magpens

There used to be a Kallenshaan inlay kit with that color/pattern ... Sierra size and round ... maybe they still sell it. . You need 5" ? . Maybe you could fit 2 or 3 together to get the pattern you want.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

I remembered seeing this question but could not remember the blank where I had seen it. I found it. This is a photo by Sylvanite. It is a laser kit. Now who sells them I do not know but am sure one of the big names.

1_Helix2.jpg

magpens

I think that may have come from Lazerlinez but I don't see it in their current offerings.

Last edited:

Erik831

Yikes ... a quadruple screw blank... That looks to be just a tad bit complicated and VERY expensive. It may be less expensive to try to do that with inlay (blue and red on white background). I saw a video online explaining how to do a 2-part screw blank design, where 2 spirals get wound round each other and then they get glued in place by acrylic casting ... he also did several with just one screw suspended round the barrel tube, so that the clear acrylic was transparent around the wooden screw. The cutter was kinda tricky to manage, as I recall. By changing the angle of reference, you could incorporate more than 2 spirals of varying thicknesses and possibly create a design just like that ... it may be that the same person who made that video happened to make that blank. In fact, he teaches a class and makes pens out of acrylic cast lego pen blanks and worthless wood cast blanks all the time. I don't recall where, but if you can contact him it might net you a few blanks like what you're looking for. edit- Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAXPJs7igAk scroll to 11:20 to see the spiral pen.

Great video by the way. I watched it all

Ted Sachs

I'm doing wrapped blanks that are cast afterwards and that spiral odds very possible with the way I'm doing it. Of you don't mind a cast blank I might be able to help you out.

Top Bottom