Bowl Blanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ChrisD123

Hello, i know this is a pen turning site… :wink: but i recently bought a large lathe with a 16 inch swing and while I've doe some bowls on my smaller lathe id like to do some bigger stuff (10 inches+) I was wondering if anyone had any bowl blanks for sale there hard to buy online since there are generally no pictures and my local hardwood supplier never has anything special, I don't just wanna do something out of a common hardwood. Id like something figured, spalted, burl, etc

Hopefully someone here can help me out! thanks so much!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alankulwicki7

Look on craigslist or stop and ask people that are taking down trees. Most of the blanks I pick up are from either of these routes.

Plus, many of times you will still find some great figure in a regular old piece of wood. What you want to look for are crotch pieces. There's usually some great figure in them and most of the time people don't want the crotch pieces....

low_48

I can't imagine what the shipping would be to get a 30 pound block of wood from IL into Canada. Not going to be easy to get past the inspectors unless it has some documentation of kiln drying. I'd think you could get big leaf maple pretty easily from the Canadian west coast.

Lucky2

Chris, check out the wood suppliers on E-Bay, I buy a lot of blanks from them and have them shipped from the states. It's not all that expensive, and I've never had one that was refused entry to Canada. The largest blank that I have purchased and had shipped to here, was a piece of cherry that was 4"thick and 12"x12". I think I paid somewhere around $20.00 for the blank, and around the same amount for shipping. I was pleased with my purchase, you can't buy any cherry wood around here, it's not native to the area.
Len

SDB777

I find that some of the local 'common' hardwoods to be every bit as fun to turn as $500 chunks of burl. Check out BadDogBurls though...you can spend that kind of cha-ching with them really fast!

Scott (my first 16+ inch bowl was pine...it's my fave) B

Nedge

Hi Chris,
I have a lot of wood in supply that may suit your request. What would be the minimum dimensions you would require for your bowl blanks?
Thanks
Ed

Nedge

Bowl Blanks

Hi Chris,
I have a lot of wood in supply that may suit your request. What would be the minimum dimensions you would require for your bowl blanks?
Thanks
Ed

duncsuss

Check out WoodBarter.com -- that link takes you straight to the rules page. There is a requirement that newcomers make one introduction post before galloping off to post "wanted" ads or "I'll buy that" ads.

(It's a great place, but all too often people fail to read the post that says "Read this first". Not saying you're like that, just saving you some time.)

Top Bottom