Bottle Stopper Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bchawkins

Hello All,

I'm looking for some bottle stopper blanks for a beginner (me) to learn how to turn and make them. Nothing fancy or exotic just yet, but something that won't break the bank yet will look nice once finished.

Any and all help will be appreciated!

Thank you all for the read.

Brian

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I do stoppers in addition to other stuff. I'm thinking it's best to start out with wood. While I would be more than happy to provide you with some assorted wood blanks, you can get stock for stoppers just about anywhere wood is sold. There's a wood store in Laplata, MD called Maryland Select Hardwoods that might have stuff to get you going. Good starting domestic hardwoods are oak, maple, cherry or walnut (in my area). Then if you want to branch out to exotics, there are lots of suppliers on the web. One of my favorites is Bell Forest Products in the upper peninsula of Michigan. Good selection, great service.

Acrylic stoppers are a different animal. There are lots of sources (woodcraft, PSI, etc) but I haven't been able to source any that are cheap enough where I could sell them at a decent price.

Hope this helps,

Quality Pen

I was at a fundraiser recently and on the auction table they had a pen made from pallets.

You could glue some free pallet boards together. Can't get more inexpensive than that? :)

Very eco-friendly!

alankulwicki7

If you pay for shipping, I will send you a small flat rate box full of stopper blanks. I'll be sure to include a variety of woods...

PM me if you are interested...

I searched eBay for bottle stopper blanks under turning wood and found a supplier who sells lots of 60 maple blanks that are cut off from something. Here is one of their current auctions:
60 1 1 2" x 2" Long Bottle Stopper Blanks New England Sugar Maple | eBay

There are of course lots of others with smaller/less expensive lots. I found these made for great practice pieces as well nice finished ones.

Mike

bchawkins

Top Bottom