Black Oak blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

endacoz

I recently had a customer ask me to make an item (seam ripper blank only needs to be about 4" long) out of black oak. She specifically is asking for wood from a BLACK OAK tree.

I can't seem to find it anywhere other than ebay. Does anyone have any black oak blanks they'd be willing to sell?

I'd be willing to buy a few other blanks / a small assortment from you to fill a flat rate box. Let me know what you have most importantly about the BLACK OAK.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

endacoz

I can ask her. She doesn't seam to know much. Sounded like she might have had memories or something growing up with a black oak by her childhood home.

I've never turned Bog Oak. Easy? I turned some Jack Daniels Oak blanks... They were not that fun to turn because the grain was predictable and plain and kinda porus.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
You might need to get more info from her & also see how set she is on something exactly like the tree she has in mind.

There are several species of red oaks that are commonly referred to simply as "black oak" including eastern black oak, California black oak (aka Kellogg black oak) and blackjack oak which is very common in my part of Texas.

Last edited:

GaryMGg

I know of Black Jack Oak. Pretty small gnarly tree.
A quick google for black oak shows several varieties and differences. You need to find out where she remembers these from and what she really expects.
I expect the vast majority of the world--most of us included--can't distinguish one oak from another beyond Red and White oak.
I struggle being able to separate white oak from live oak from water oak after it's been cut and out of the log.

Good luck.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I know of Black Jack Oak. Pretty small gnarly tree.

Depends on where it is & the type of soil. We have quite a few blackjack, post & live oaks on our farm and they all top out around the same size (about 25-30 feet or so). Our soil is rather sandy with a shallow gravel layer, so live oaks don't do as well as they would in better soil, but the blackjack & post oaks thrive on this poor soil & actually make fairly nice trees.

Blackjack oaks are commonly called black oaks around here, but I rather doubt if that's what the OP is looking for as they rarely grow north of the Mason-Dixon line.

Top Bottom