Barrel Trimming Sleeves

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

yorkie

I can't seem to find barrel trimming sleeves. I need one for a 3/8 barrel.

Anyone have one for sale or trade? Or, tell me where I can buy them from.

Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ambidex

I can't seem to find barrel trimming sleeves. I need one for a 3/8 barrel.

Anyone have one for sale or trade? Or, tell me where I can buy them from.

Thanks.

I have a PKTRIM7 new in the box....I have the 4 shaft combo but don't even take the shaft out anymore..not a 3/8ths..but then I've used my original trimmer for every blank from slimlines to emperors...if you want send me your addy...and if it suits..send me anything you want to..btw my original was a 3/4..if you have a razor knife, it's a penturenrs best friend for cleaning the inside of the tube before you put the turning bushings in..

Last edited:

yorkie

I don't need it for trimming the blanks. I need it for the universal pen blank trimming jig (Universal Pen Blank Squaring Jig at Penn State Industries) /12" disc sander.

I've been using it to sand off the excess CA that accumulates on the tips of the blanks, before final polishing.

I need a 3/8 trimming sleeve for a perfect fit on the shaft. Otherwise it can move around a little. I see to have most trimming sleeves but not one for a 3/8.

Dan Masshardt

I don't need it for trimming the blanks. I need it for the universal pen blank trimming jig (Universal Pen Blank Squaring Jig at Penn State Industries) /12" disc sander. I've been using it to sand off the excess CA that accumulates on the tips of the blanks, before final polishing. I need a 3/8 trimming sleeve for a perfect fit on the shaft. Otherwise it can move around a little. I see to have most trimming sleeves but not one for a 3/8.
take a slimline pen barrel and turn it down to size

Or get one of these

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p...rel-Trimmer-Adapter-Blank?term=barrel trimmer

Last edited:

toddlajoie

For what you are using it for (removing CA from the end of blanks after turning), a sleeve is the last thing I want. I take a small piece ( about 3/4 inch square ) of self adhesive sandpaper, punch a standard hole in it, and stick it to the back of my barrel trimming head (the flat part) then turn the head over on the 7mm shaft. Hold the inside of the tube (any size larger than 7mm works perfectly) against the 7mm shaft (this holds it nice and straight) and lightly make contact with the sandpaper and slowly rotate the blank while making sure the brass tube stays pressed against the shaft. By not using the sleeve, you use a bit more of the sanding area and don't get a "ring" on the paper, it uses more of the sandpaper and gets a better, flatter result.

Now the sanding Jig you are using would do this just fine also, but I'm not crazy about the tension or potential for the blank to get grabbed by the disc and have some damage done to it. Granted I've never had one and never used one, but it LOOKS to me like it MIGHT have that problem. I may be wrong, but I also think if I can do something well, without having to buy something new ( I know, what am I saying...) that is a good thing...

Also, +1 on what Dan says. I've done that for barrel trimming, but I would add that I use the next smallest size tube that I have a shaft for, so most of mine are done with the Wall St II or smaller Baron tube, as the larger shafts are less likely to bend or flex.

Last edited:

Silverado

What Dan said. I used a 7 mm tube and turned down a piece of Corian. Gets a lot of use for the Executive Tubes.

yorkie

For what you are using it for (removing CA from the end of blanks after turning), a sleeve is the last thing I want. I take a small piece ( about 3/4 inch square ) of self adhesive sandpaper, punch a standard hole in it, and stick it to the back of my barrel trimming head (the flat part) then turn the head over on the 7mm shaft. Hold the inside of the tube (any size larger than 7mm works perfectly) against the 7mm shaft (this holds it nice and straight) and lightly make contact with the sandpaper and slowly rotate the blank while making sure the brass tube stays pressed against the shaft. By not using the sleeve, you use a bit more of the sanding area and don't get a "ring" on the paper, it uses more of the sandpaper and gets a better, flatter result.

Now the sanding Jig you are using would do this just fine also, but I'm not crazy about the tension or potential for the blank to get grabbed by the disc and have some damage done to it. Granted I've never had one and never used one, but it LOOKS to me like it MIGHT have that problem. I may be wrong, but I also think if I can do something well, without having to buy something new ( I know, what am I saying...) that is a good thing...

Also, +1 on what Dan says. I've done that for barrel trimming, but I would add that I use the next smallest size tube that I have a shaft for, so most of mine are done with the Wall St II or smaller Baron tube, as the larger shafts are less likely to bend or flex.

I have one of those hand mills and it works great however, I put a 220 grit disc on this and squared it perfectly. I can use it the same way as the sanding mill and have done so for a few months now. It works great and hasn't grabbed yet. However, the blank has to be snug on the shaft or it will move and be ruined. That's why I'm looking for a 3/8 as a lot of my pens are 3/8. I still use the hand mill from time to time but this 12" sanding disc works great plus, I have it hooked up to the dust collector so there are no CA particles in the air.

yorkie

I don't need it for trimming the blanks. I need it for the universal pen blank trimming jig (Universal Pen Blank Squaring Jig at Penn State Industries) /12" disc sander. I've been using it to sand off the excess CA that accumulates on the tips of the blanks, before final polishing. I need a 3/8 trimming sleeve for a perfect fit on the shaft. Otherwise it can move around a little. I see to have most trimming sleeves but not one for a 3/8.

Or get one of these

Apprentice Barrel Trimmer Adapter Blank | Pen Making | Craft Supplies USA

I may just have to go that route, Dan. Thanks.

JD Combs Sr

What Dan said. I used a 7 mm tube and turned down a piece of Corian. Gets a lot of use for the Executive Tubes.
+2 on making your own, scrap blank, corian, wood, PR, maters not what ever is handy. Corian would probably give you the longest lasting one, not that any would wear out:rolleyes:.

Last edited:

walshjp17

Stephen,

Have you looked at Rick Harrell's end trimming jig? Using it in a collet chuck and then sliding a transfer punch (HF has a very inexpensive set) that fits snugly in the finished barrel works quite nicely. Transfer punch goes in a Jacob's chick in the tailstock.

The Penguin

Or get one of these

Apprentice Barrel Trimmer Adapter Blank | Pen Making | Craft Supplies USA

I may just have to go that route, Dan. Thanks.
you can buy a 10' stick of 3/4" Delrin for about $20

make your own sleeves, non-stick finishing bushings, etc. All you need is a "B" size drill to make the hole, and a collet chuck works best for holding the Delrin for drilling.

Top Bottom