Bakelite

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gofer

I have 5 pieces of Bakelite, at least that is what they were sold to me as from another member a few years ago. I have no idea of the value or what I paid. Have a look at the pictures and make an offer.

Pictures show 2 different sides of the same pieces.

Attachments

• IMG_3544.JPG
    IMG_3544.JPG
    334.5 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_3545.JPG
    IMG_3545.JPG
    193.5 KB · Views: 285
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gofer

I received a PM from a member that is much more knowledgable than I am and it was suggested that this might be Micarta and not Bakelite. I can try and get better pics if there is any interest.

CREID

A friend of mine uses Micarta and before I seen your second post, I knew that wasn't bakelite and that it definitely looks like micarta. Get your dust mask handy if your gonna turn that stuff.

Curt

Last edited:

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
I purchased some of that material from a member who is no longer active in 2010. Long story short, the finished pen looked bad. pitted with brown, fibrous streaks through it. I posted asking what I could have done wrong. Was told that there are two grades of Bakelite; Industrial grade and a decorative grade that was used to make costume jewelry. This is the industrial grade. I tossed the rest of mine.

Last edited:

SteveG

I also hade a couple of pieces of the stuff. Either intentionally or not (I do not know, and thus cannot comment), done in by Gary Max. It was sold as being "Bakelite", with a desirable line running through the material that would enhance the final look of a pen.

Last edited:

CREID

Take a piece and turn it so you can see what it looks like. If you don't like it for a pen, then maybe a band, some other project? You never know.

Curt

SteveG

There are no "Like" buttons in this type of thread...have to do it the old fashion way:

LIKEpost #17
LIKEpost #18
LIKEpost #19

Anyone else up for a manual "LIKE"?

1080Wayne

Well , tell you all what . I also have some of those blanks . I will take one and convert it into a Sierra , using all of my minuscule skills to make the finest looking pen that I can . I will post a picture next weekend . Feel free to join me .

Curly

Well , tell you all what . I also have some of those blanks . I will take one and convert it into a Sierra , using all of my minuscule skills to make the finest looking pen that I can . I will post a picture next weekend . Feel free to join me .

You can try and polish it up but I think you will need a CA finish on it to make it shine. The micarta is a phenolic and cotton composite. You likely already use protection (the breathing kind boys) but it is bad stuff to breath, including the vapours if it gets hot enough, that you'll want to wear your respirator.

Looking forward to your minuscule results. ;)

Skie_M

Whoa, there, hold on now ... he hasn't even mailed this stuff yet!

We weren't talking about you showing us how good a job you've done with some nice looking material, we want to see what you can do with the crap he's got layin about!

edstreet

This is also bakelite. It is a 50/50 mix of powdered lead and bakelite. This is a M22 frangible round made during WW2 for anti-aircraft training.

Attachments

• IMG_3234.jpg
    IMG_3234.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 109
Top Bottom