Anyone need to get rid of acrylic blanks?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Quality Pen

I am about to turn my first pen when my stuff finishes arriving the coming week. But I only have 5 acrylic blanks.

Was wondering if maybe someone here is selling a good deal.

Thank you.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I have some pr blanks I need to get pictures off, that I will be selling off. $3.00 each plus shipping
different colors. Bargains come along quite frequently here

bruce119

I will be listing ALL my Acrylics 106 in all they will be priced to sell at about 2.50 ea.

I would like to do the whole lot in one package but will brake them down to lots of 20 if needed.

I do have a box of good but home made PR & inlace acrylester that would be much cheaper good for learning on....

Pm me for photos if your interested...

thanks

toddlajoie

I am about to turn my first pen when my stuff finishes arriving the coming week. But I only have 5 acrylic blanks.

Was wondering if maybe someone here is selling a good deal.

Thank you.

Not meaning to open a can of worms, and please take this as one turner's advice to another, but why not start with scrap wood? Acrylics can be fun and easy, especially when finishing, but they also carry with them a bit of a learning curve and other issues wood doesn't bring along. If you're worried about your first pen not being GREAT, don't worry, my first pen is an ugly mishapen clunker that has since cracked, but my wife treasures it to the point she has threatened to leave me if I ever steal it from her and "fix" it (I keep telling her if I ever want her to go, she'll know 'cause I'll fix the pen...:biggrin:)

As for practicing, $5 at HomeDepot will get you a bunch of practice materials, and I can't recommend enough just tossing wood on the lathe and playing away with no plan in mind, just get the feel for the tools, change lathe speeds, try to make shapes, etc. Maple, poplar, and red oak that they sell will give you some variety of turning densities and consistencies to deal with (and you can even look for those messy scrap pieces that the carpenters cut off if you want a challenge...)

I'd also recommend if you want to go this route, don't buy dowels, one of the scariest parts for new turners is getting from square to round, so it is something you need to get used to. Sure, we get a lot of round blanks around here, but I would say probably at least 90% of my turning starts square...

Once you're comfortable with turning wood for the heck of it, then give the acrylics a shot, and you'll be more prepared to handle adjusting your technique to avoid chipping (if you cut to aggressively) and excess heat (in my case usually cause by dull tools and pressing too hard).

Either way, have fun, STAY SAFE!!!, and don't worry. Mistakes will happen, material will get damaged, small victories will come over time, and you will learn from all of them.

Mike Powell

Although Todd say dont use dowels, I started with a 1 1/2 x 4 foot peice of dowel for just figuring out tool cuts. The reason I started like this was you can get alot of dowel for cheap.

beck3906

I was at Lowes last weekend and saw a dolly cart hat had lumber to twisted or warped for sale. You usually can buy that for next to nothing.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Todd has just given you some of the best advice you could aver receive at this point in your turning career. Practicing with scrap wood is the right way to go. wok into acrylics once you have a feel for your tools.

Top Bottom