Wanted Air Force related wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RDH79

I need Histoical or any kind of wood related to the Air Force. From Air Force bases or aircraft carriers.
Any one have or know of some?
Rich

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dogcatcher

I was an USAF dependent in the 50's and 60's, the only wood I remember was the old WWII barracks and later wood furniture in the BAQ. The barracks have been gone for decades, no idea of the furniture.

Aluminum would be my choice.

Curly

If you can find someone restoring an old aircraft like a Stearman they may have some of the wood they replaced. Spars and ribs would have been Sitka Spruce and there were pieces of birch plywood used as gussets and reinforcing blocks. Your alternative would be to buy new aircraft wood from a supplier like Aircraft Spruce .

dogcatcher

Saw an old biplane today, the prop was wood, appeared to be maple or birch. So a little research and the choices of wood were. Birch, maple, oak, mahogany or walnut.

Crashmph

I have a line on wood from one of the 1940s hangers at Tyndall Air Force Base in Panama City, FL. Will be end of January before I get it though.

Good on you turning to the members of IAP. I've been looking for WWII Battle Ship decking for some time now. I've contacted a lot of different organizations with zero luck. Most don't respond to emails even if you send it through their websites. However, I've got pieces of the New Jersey and California from members found on the IAP after I posted about my project. Thanks to Phil and Karl for helping out. I was really disappointed by the knife making community as no one got back to me after multiple emails and calls. If anyone from Texas can help, I've contacted the USS Texas probably a dozen times now with no results. I know they make rifles from the old decking so I know it's out there. And they just recently had a big write up in Blade magazine about the restoration work being done.

tomas

Isn't there an Air Force academy of some type? Perhaps wood from their facilities or special trees there?

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

THe Air Force Academy is located just North of Colorado Springs. For pilot training they use gliders and old single engine Pipers. There is a possibility that these or other obsolete one may have wooden components. The campus is surrounded by forest but is about 99% Ponderosa Pine. A phone call to their Head Quarters may help.

Just for grins, my father was in the Air Force Reserves and was called to active duty at the end of WWII. His duty assignment was to command the Air Force's navy on Lake Pontchartrain outside of New Orleans. They had a fleet of small boats that they used for pilot and equipment retrieval. I don't know if they were for use with equipment out of Pensacola or a base closer to New Orleans.

Tomas

MRDucks2

If only they were still around: my dad joined the Army Air Corps during WWII and was discharged from the US Air Force two years later. During his time in, I believe, Whitehorse, they were issued wooden rifles to stand watch with as all of the actual rifles were needed on the front.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Loucurr

Find someone with access to the airplane bone yard. There is bound to be an old wooden plane somewhere in there.

Top Bottom