Agarita

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Patio

I'd like to purchase some Agarita from anyone who might have some extra or if there is a good source to purchase some from.

Thanks,

Pat

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Are you wanting wood or berries?

It's a pretty small shrub. I've got some on my farm in Columbus, but I wouldn't be able to harvest any wood or berries for a couple more months.

Patio

Hi Edohmann and thanks for your reply!

I was hoping to get some of the roots to cast for blanks. If you do end up harvesting any, I'd definitely be interested!

Thanks,

Pat

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
If you don't find any before then, I'll definitely try to get you some this spring.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Here 'ya go Mitch

Aggie-horticulture - Agarita

It's also commonly known as Currant here in Texas & the berries make a great jelly.

I haven't tried making a pen from Agarita yet, but I will definitely cut some branches & dig up some roots this spring.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Agarita berries look similar to Red Currants which is why the Agarita is sometimes called Wild Currant or even just Currant (which is technically incorrect).

However, the shrubs are different. True currants are Ribes x. while agarita is Mahonia trifoliolata. Currants come in different shades (red, white, pink, black while agarita is only red).

Agarita wood is very yellow which is one reason that it is desired for pen blanks, but since it is a very small shrub, it is difficult to get enough good wood from its branches. Hence the desirability of roots.

I really don't know what Currant wood looks like though.

wyone

You know.. it is amazing.. I learn new things every day here. And I also know that I passed by so many opportunities for wood in the past. In WY, my grandparents had 80 acres with all kinds of trees, shrubs, etc on them. I didnt get any of them. Actually that is not true. I ended up with one small chunk of applewood. I am planning on turning it sometime in the near future and hopefully get 3 pens out of it, one for my brother, sister and myself.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I know what you mean, Mitch. I've lived around so many varieties of trees & shrubs all my life and had no idea what kind of treasures were out there. It's only been the last 2 years since I've been making pens that I've really begun to appreciate them for the beauty of their wood. Up to now, it's only been those trees & bushes that we've harvested fruits from that I've paid any attention to. Never to late to learn though.

Patio

Hi FireWhatFire!

Thanks for the reply. I had already sent a message to Curtis to see if he had any that wasn't cast and I'm waiting to hear back from him. I did turn one of his Agarita blanks and just loved it as well as my wife as its her pen!

Thanks again!

Pat

Top Bottom