8 Awesome Australian Pen Blanks from George's Bit of Timber

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Here's a chance for one of our new members to win 8 awesome pen blanks from George's Bit of Timber in Australia.

The rules are simple:
1. You must have joined IAP sometime in 2014 - your amount of experience does not matter
2. You must post a reply in this thread to indicate your interest in these blanks

I will leave this thread open for at least a couple of days - exact length of time will be arbitrary, so don't dally. When I close the thread, I will put all the eligible names into a virtual hat & randomly select one person to receive these blanks.

The backstory:
I won a prize in George's (aka Robutacion) http://www.penturners.org/forum/f217/mr-anonymous-game-14-@-25-12-2014-a-128662/ and I have already paid the shipping charges for the prize.

I have been fortunate to win several of George's contests in the last couple of years so I would like to share a bit of this good fortune and fun with one of our new members.

I would also like to see more participation in George's contests as they are great fun and very informative. I encourage everyone to study George's Timbers List, peruse his web site, watch for his next contest and join the fun.

In the meantime, if you joined IAP sometime in 2014, reply here to throw your name into the virtual hat.

Good luck
Edgar

Sprung

I'll throw my name in the virtual hat, if I can. George's contests have been fun to follow and try to throw out a guess or two when I can. I received some blanks from him in #4 (I think) - but I still haven't been able to properly guess any of the woods he's been posting! It is fun, however, to explore his list and see what kinds of woods Australia has to offer! (Going to be turning my first George blank here real soon!)

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I'll throw my name in the virtual hat, if I can. George's contests have been fun to follow and try to throw out a guess or two when I can. I received some blanks from him in #4 (I think) - but I still haven't been able to properly guess any of the woods he's been posting! It is fun, however, to explore his list and see what kinds of woods Australia has to offer! (Going to be turning my first George blank here real soon!)

Your name is in the hat Matt.
Good luck

wyone

I joined in 2014 and have to say, the information I have gained from George has been huge. I have yet to have an answer correct in his contests, but I keep trying and learning. I was fortunate enough to be awarded one of his prizes for newbies early in my turning and I learned so much turning with them. I love the variety and also love the generosity of this group. And not just in the gifts and prizes, but more importantly in the advice and information. :) :)

I have spent quite a bit of time on his website trying to learn the different variations of wood and well, still cannot properly identify 99% of them. LOL

Warren White

Put me in, please.

I appreciate the offer, and the opportunity to be in the hat. I assume it is a 10 gallon hat, since you are in Texas.

robutacion

Here's a chance for one of our new members to win 8 awesome pen blanks from George's Bit of Timber in Australia.

The rules are simple:
1. You must have joined IAP sometime in 2014 - your amount of experience does not matter
2. You must post a reply in this thread to indicate your interest in these blanks

I will leave this thread open for at least a couple of days - exact length of time will be arbitrary, so don't dally. When I close the thread, I will put all the eligible names into a virtual hat & randomly select one person to receive these blanks.

The backstory:
I won a prize in George's (aka Robutacion) http://www.penturners.org/forum/f217/mr-anonymous-game-14-@-25-12-2014-a-128662/ and I have already paid the shipping charges for the prize.

I have been fortunate to win several of George's contests in the last couple of years so I would like to share a bit of this good fortune and fun with one of our new members.

I would also like to see more participation in George's contests as they are great fun and very informative. I encourage everyone to study George's Timbers List, peruse his web site, watch for his next contest and join the fun.

In the meantime, if you joined IAP sometime in 2014, reply here to throw your name into the virtual hat.

Good luck
Edgar

Thanks Edgar, your suggestion was most welcome and generous...!

Yes, I would like also to see more members participation on these games I have previously invited directly new IAP members and tried to demonstrated/explain why, the games shouldn't be seen as something out of their league or, too early to participate.

There is no such thing as too early to participate, anyone can have a look or print my timber list from my private web-store and "peruse" through the listings to have a look how the blanks look like. They are not all there yet, and maybe never will, some of them due to its number/availability limitations, are kept only for the mix packs I put together where, one blank of each wood species are added in.

In between the information that I provided all the time here about my woods, there is a list of all my threads on IAP, under the "statistics" on my profile, you can use that as a good guide. Another good tool is the general search on IAP's library and off-course, the universal search through Google and others...!

There no penalties for the wrong answers, regardless of how silly they may be and maybe, you get lucky and endup guessing it right, unless you participate, you won't get any prices, huh...???

I have also to say that, (for those that don't know), I have created these games a few years back, and until a few months ago, I was supporting all the costs involved with the prizes however, in more recent times, I had a pleasant surprise to be offered sponsorship (financial assistance) by Mr. Anonymous, an IAP member that decided to step up and, make a $5.000 purchase of my blanks, to be distributed through games to all IAP members, in a suggested/possible time period of 2 years from then.

Many IAP members were also commissioned by Mr. Anonymous to produce 1 (one) special pen, of which members were paid a set amount and interestingly, all those pens (in the possession of Mr. Anonymous) will be donated tom IAP in the near future...!

As you can see, this is not all "my thing", I may be responsible to run the show but, there are other people involved...!

Your simple participation, can to the least mean that, you are acknowledging the sentiment behind these games, and the generosity of those involved...!

Thank you for listening...!

PS: The 8 blanks part of this offer, are yet to be sorted, I have obviously something in mind but, I will probably tale my selection based on who gets it, what I mean is that, I will listen to any suggestions/preferences within reason, this person may have...!

Cheers
George

Last edited:

robertkulp

Great idea and "Thank You." As someone who joined just a few months ago, it looks like I qualify. Please add me to the candidates.

Again, thanks.

Califo

I'd appreciate if I could be included in the lottery as well. I started turning this past fall and I am still learning the ropes as well as obtaining equipment as I go. Any charity is appreciated. Thanks.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I count 11 entries so far - let me know if I missed anyone:
1. Sprung
2. Mjrbuzz
3. Wyone
4. Warren White
5. Quality Pen
6. Signoreandrew
7. Wob50
8. Strifilo
9. RCMattingly
10. Robertkulp
11. Califo

Still a little shy of an English Derby full, so I haven't had to break out my Texas 10 gallon yet, but there's still time for more to join in. :)

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Ok I looked at my profile and I joined on 12-13- 2013 so I'm out. Thanks anyway!

Sorry that you missed the cutoff on this one, Larry. No matter where I drew the line, there was sure to be some who would miss out by just a few days.

I have another giveaway in mind for the new future & I promise that you'll be eligible for that one. Here's a hint - brush up on your knowledge of Texas woods. :)

Edgar

Krash

So, I joined in February 2014 ..... but, I don't think I should put my MITH (name in the hat). I already have been the recipient of much of George and Mr. Anonymous' generosity.

Great idea though Ed! Pay it forward!

Last edited:

LBurns5980

Thanks for the opportunity to participate this drawing. I am new to pen turning and most of what I have learned was on my own. I am also brand new to IAP as of yesterday evening. I hope to learn a lot from this online community and obtain the special skills that make good pens great pens. Most of what I know now is just from my many years experience making jewelry and keepsake boxes. I know that there are a lot of craftsmanship skills that I am lacking in my pen turning which can be had through this forum. And in return, I hope that I can share and be helpful to others with some of my knowledge as well.

Last edited:

2ndFloor

Please count me in as well. As I make additional items on the lathe including pens, I feel the vortex increasing. It is truly a rewarding thing to do.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
So, I joined in February 2014 ..... but, I don't think I should put my MITH (name in the hat). I already have been the recipient of much of George and Mr. Anonymous' generosity.

Great idea though Ed! Pay it forward!

Well you are certainly eligible Kelly, so just let me know if you change your mind.

Somehow, I suspect that you are likely to win at lease a couple more of these contests before they run their course. :wink:

Edgar

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
There are currently 17 entries:
1. Sprung
2. Mjrbuzz
3. Wyone
4. Warren White
5. Quality Pen
6. Signoreandrew
7. Wob50
8. Strifilo
9. RCMattingly
10. Robertkulp
11. Califo
12. Endacoz
13. Waggoner
14. Weswrestle10
15. LBurns5980
16. 2nd Floor
17. Mike4066

I will leave this thread open until after the Texans game tomorrow afternoon. The drawing will take place "sometime" after the game, so there is still plenty of time to enter if you are eligible but have not yet thrown your name into the hat.

Good luck to all

Edgar

Cavediver

Am I too late? Can I still join in on the fun?

Regardless, thank you Edgar (and George!) for this contest. It's another great example of the generosity of the members of this board, and is certainly appreciated!

Janster

..."gently", please ad me to the list and Happy New Year to you and yours! .......Jan

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Signups are now closed

We have 25 entries. The winning entry will be posted soon.

Good luck to all

1. Sprung
2. Mjrbuzz
3. Wyone
4. Warren White
5. Quality Pen
6. Signoreandrew
7. Wob50
8. Strifilo
9. RCMattingly
10. Robertkulp
11. Califo
12. Endacoz
13. Waggoner
14. Weswrestle10
15. LBurns5980
16. 2nd Floor
17. Mike4066
18. MikeDoyle
19. CWalker935
20. Jimbo26
21. Cpmech425
22. Dryder
23. Cavediver
24. Rockytime
25. Epigolucky

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
..."gently", please ad me to the list and Happy New Year to you and yours! .......Jan

Me too please if it's not too late.

Sorry Jan & Julie, but I was not able to add you to the list. This particular drawing was limited to new IAP members who joined sometime in 2014.

I have another giveaway in mind for the near future that you will be eligible to participate in.

Thanks for your interest though.
Edgar

Top Bottom