June 18th, 2016 - Page 3 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Welcome to penturners.org! > Local Chapters > Central Arkansas
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2016, 11:09 AM   #21 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwneko View Post
Recommend demo on honing using diamond plate. (For skews and carbides)

I just gave a new turner in Jacksonville my carbide turning tool....not the big one for bowls, but that little one that bents really easy(I bent it back and told him it's for just the little stuff).

I know I could use some help sharpening the bigger round cutter. Seems I sharpen it and thirty seconds later it's dull(so I grab an HSS and finish the next three hours of turning).

Scott (I can feel my leg again) B
Old 04-03-2016, 12:16 AM   #22 (permalink)

Photos: 0

glad you leg is working. On the round carbide cutter, at SWAT they were using a diamond stone to sharpen them.

I found the video on sharpening the cutter. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZzjPbTTyYc and this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnZBK7wN9UI

Last edited by bmwrider1; 04-03-2016 at 12:21 AM.
bmwrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-03-2016, 10:00 AM   #23 (permalink)
TDE

Glad to hear your doing better. I think a sharpening demo would be good also.
TDE is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 04-06-2016, 02:07 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwrider1 View Post
glad you leg is working. On the round carbide cutter, at SWAT they were using a diamond stone to sharpen them.

I found the video on sharpening the cutter. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZzjPbTTyYc and this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnZBK7wN9UI

I use a diamond stone. But the carbide just dulls quicker then the HSS tooling(same wood...so it's not an apple to orange comparison). By dulling, I mean I can remove five times the wood with HSS over carbide using the same felt effort.
I'll probably just sell off the carbide stuff, and stick to the conventional tooling that 'works' better for me....I'm not very patient with dull tooling.

Plan on Scott bring his sharpening system. With the following disclaimer: I will sharpen one chisel from each person that brings one.....anymore sharpening per person will cost ya!

Scott (demo king, no video) B
Old 04-12-2016, 08:02 AM   #25 (permalink)

Default Collets:

I just got some metric collets off E-Bay but the chuck is coming from somewhere in Figi, Tiawan, Malawi...who knows & it is has a #2 MT. It is supposed to be here by May! The collets I ordered are ER32. I have a Wood River set that fits a 1"-8 spindle but they are not the ER32.....maybe between all of us we can find something that will work!
Attached Thumbnails
collets.jpg  
Phillip Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-12-2016, 08:50 AM   #26 (permalink)

Default OOPS!

I got to thinking (which in itself is a a scary endeavor) & usually get a headache afterwards, but I went & found the Wood River Collet set & then remembered that it was also a #2 MT! I will probably have it for sale if my collet chuck for the metric set ever gets here...I am an avid hoarder of unusual tools & I need to sell some of this stuff before my demise...if my wife sells this stuff at a yard sale! I mean can you just see a yard sale where someone has never seen a lathe much less a collet set says, "I wonder what these things are" but $5 don't seem like a bad price...lol
Attached Thumbnails
woodriver.jpg  
Old 04-17-2016, 09:45 AM   #27 (permalink)

Just trying to make sure everyone has this date imbedded in their memory.....or some could just say 'bump'.

Scott ( ) B
Old 04-20-2016, 07:45 AM   #28 (permalink)

Default Two bad collet chucks...what a coincidence!

Well I finally got my collett chuck from across the waters. It was rather inexpensive and has a #2 MT and fits the ER32 collets! Or I should say the ER32 collets almost fit the chuck! I could not get the nut to tighten down on the collet properly and soon discover that there was ring of metal inside the nut that had not been machined properly & I didn't want to go thru the hassle of sending it back so I took it to a local machine shop and they cut the ring out!
I had also ordered the collet set from PSI that was threaded 1" x 8 and when it came in yesterday....guess what....the nut would not tighten down on the collets either! Yes, there was another ring in the nut that had not been machine all the way & would not allow the nut to tighten down on the the taper of the collets! So, back to the machine shop......I wonder what the chances are of getting two different parts with the same problem?
Attached Thumbnails
chuck.jpg  
Old 04-20-2016, 03:20 PM   #29 (permalink)

Photos: 40

I talked to Ken the other night, and he wants to do a slimline trade at the next meeting. They can be modified, regular, segmented, green, blue, purple, or whatever. Just make some sort of slimline for the trade next meeting. I'll be sending directions to his house in the next week or so. But it will be in an e-mail rather than here. But many of you have already been to his house for the meeting last June.

Central Arkansas IAP Chapter Member

Last edited by BSea; 04-20-2016 at 03:21 PM.
BSea is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-20-2016, 03:24 PM   #30 (permalink)

Photos: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Kelley View Post
I got to thinking (which in itself is a a scary endeavor) & usually get a headache afterwards, but I went & found the Wood River Collet set & then remembered that it was also a #2 MT! I will probably have it for sale if my collet chuck for the metric set ever gets here...I am an avid hoarder of unusual tools & I need to sell some of this stuff before my demise...if my wife sells this stuff at a yard sale! I mean can you just see a yard sale where someone has never seen a lathe much less a collet set says, "I wonder what these things are" but $5 don't seem like a bad price...lol
I think someone has a signature line that says "My biggest fear is that after I die, my wife will sell all my blanks for what I told he I paid for them."

Central Arkansas IAP Chapter Member
BSea is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads