Ideas for meetings for 2015 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Welcome to penturners.org! > Local Chapters > Central Arkansas
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2014, 10:06 AM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 3

Default Ideas for meetings for 2015

Just throwing this out there.

I was thinking about our meetings/scheduling/etc. How about we try to have the meeting dates set at the first of the year. That way hopefully we could plan better on where, and what we can demo/swap/etc.

One option would be keep it every 3 months. Say, March, June, Sept. and Dec.
Or have 3 meetings only, every 4 months, April then July OR Aug. and then Dec.

If we can get a better idea early in the year, I think people could plan better to be able to be there and increase attendance at the meetings. We could also set a schedule for what we can demo and what type of pen swaps we could have. It would give a chance for the hosts to know when everyone was coming and how to plan accordingly.

Some more random ideas:
  • Some of us with smaller mini lathes bring them to set up that way we can do more demos/get more turning in
  • Do a Secret Santa type gift swap at Dec meeting, maybe set a $15-20 limit and say it can be pen turning related, but it doesn't have to be
  • Segmented pen swap at one meeting
  • tool sharpening demo
  • Everyone pitch in $5 or so at each meeting, buy something nice then do a drawing for at each meeting to win it. Could be nice turning tool, gift card to CSUSA, box of nice pen kits, etc.

Let me know what you think of these ideas and post your own below.

Thanks,
David

Visit my website for project pictures and videos
http://dlgwoodwork.com
DLGunn is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-14-2014, 12:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Having been to all the meetings(except the first-didn't know about them yet, it was a secret )...your idea 'sounds great'.

BUT....always one of those.

Some folks don't know what their work schedule will be from week-to-week, nevermind four months from today. It doesn't make a difference to me, I'm off three days a week, every week....but I still try to make sure the majority of the Chapter can make it to a meeting.

Scheduling demos is sometime weather dependent... ie: If everyone is 'scheduled' to be at my place in June for a sawmill demo and it is raining/thunderstorm, what happens then?

As with all groups/chapters/what-have-you, there is always going to be a few that can't make it no matter, and there will always be those that can no matter what.
A big issue is during the meeting, nothing about the next meeting is discussed....use to, but for some reason it's one of those 'Oops, we forgot things' after just above everyone has left.

Scott (train running down the track...no one driving) B
Old 11-14-2014, 02:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 51

We really do need to spend some time at each meeting to decide on the next meeting. That should be the what we do 1st instead of last. If we wait till the end, like Scott said, it just doesn't get done.

I'm fine for either 3 or 4 times a year.

Central Arkansas IAP Chapter Member
BSea is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 11-14-2014, 02:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSea View Post
We really do need to spend some time at each meeting to decide on the next meeting. That should be the what we do 1st instead of last. If we wait till the end, like Scott said, it just doesn't get done.

If you think about it, we're usually the one's saying "Ah.....crap, we forgot again!"

3 or 4 is a good number, 6 would be too much.
BTW, looks like enough to get you out of cleaning the garage

Scott (I'd like to see an option for tool sharpening) B
Old 11-14-2014, 04:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDB777 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSea View Post

If you think about it, we're usually the one's saying "Ah.....crap, we forgot again!"
Yep . . . . . Maybe we should make it a rule that we have to set the meeting before anyone gets to eat. That should do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDB777 View Post
3 or 4 is a good number, 6 would be too much.
BTW, looks like enough to get you out of cleaning the garage
You noticed that too.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Yep . . . . . Maybe we should make it a rule that we have to set the meeting before anyone gets to eat. That should do it.

I like that!
bmwrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-16-2014, 01:32 AM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 23

When I coordinated the Southwest Missouri chapter we met twice a year, spring and fall. In my opinion that was not enough to maintain interest. That chapter basically died out because of that. I think three is too close to that number. I would be for four as a minimum. If we can't think of a reason to meet at least that much we probably don't have a reason to be meeting at all. Six would not be too many for me knowing that not all could attend every meeting. If you do three and a person has to miss one then they only get two a year. I just don't think we can maintain interest if a person only comes two times in a year. Just my humble opinion.

I agree that we should set next meeting dates at each meeting. Maybe 5 meetings? March, May, July, Sept, Dec. That misses Jan and Feb (too cold), August (too hot), Oct and Nov (too busy...craft shows). Just food for thought.

Freddie
edman2 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-16-2014, 06:13 AM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 6

There should be a meeting scheduled to determine the scheduling of meetings, a meeting that is officially declared as an unofficial meeting so that it won't count against the undecided number of official meetings yet to be scheduled.
butchf18a is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-16-2014, 10:42 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edman2 View Post
When I coordinated the Southwest Missouri chapter we met twice a year, spring and fall. In my opinion that was not enough to maintain interest. That chapter basically died out because of that. I think three is too close to that number. I would be for four as a minimum. If we can't think of a reason to meet at least that much we probably don't have a reason to be meeting at all. Six would not be too many for me knowing that not all could attend every meeting. If you do three and a person has to miss one then they only get two a year. I just don't think we can maintain interest if a person only comes two times in a year. Just my humble opinion.

I agree that we should set next meeting dates at each meeting. Maybe 5 meetings? March, May, July, Sept, Dec. That misses Jan and Feb (too cold), August (too hot), Oct and Nov (too busy...craft shows). Just food for thought.

Freddie
We tried meeting every 2 months. I think we did that twice before we gave up on it. It was just too much to organize. As soon as one was done, we had to start getting ready for the next meeting. It's nice to have a bit of a break between meetings. I do see your point though in only having 3 meetings. If someone had to miss a meeting, then it's 8 months between meeting for them.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:12 AM   #10 (permalink)

Photos: 0

As of now, I am on a 14/7 schedule. So I have either 1 or 2 weeks a month that I am home. I like the 4 meetings and am up for 5 per year. But majority wins on the days of the meeting. As far as mini lathe, I have one but not VS.
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads