Discussion.......please - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Welcome to penturners.org! > Local Chapters > Central Arkansas
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2015, 04:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Question Discussion.......please

All right, where to begin?

September meeting...cancelled. No one could either host, or even offer up a place to meet. Was really hoping some of the newer people to the group(and there is quite a few) would help out... The meeting(s) shouldn't continually be at just one or two places all the time.

December meeting...Bob hosted, and only ONE person came! I do not recall off the top of my head exactly how many folks are on the email roster that goes out....but ONE person? A lot goes into 'hosting' a meeting.

Feel free to help me figure out what needs to be done....because I do not know anymore?

Do we continue as a 'chapter' or just let it die off?

What do we need to do as an incentive to get folks to come, or better yet participate?

Scott (what a shame) B
Old 12-13-2015, 04:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDB777 View Post
All right, where to begin?

September meeting...cancelled. No one could either host, or even offer up a place to meet. Was really hoping some of the newer people to the group(and there is quite a few) would help out... The meeting(s) shouldn't continually be at just one or two places all the time.

December meeting...Bob hosted, and only ONE person came! I do not recall off the top of my head exactly how many folks are on the email roster that goes out....but ONE person? A lot goes into 'hosting' a meeting.

Feel free to help me figure out what needs to be done....because I do not know anymore?

Do we continue as a 'chapter' or just let it die off?

What do we need to do as an incentive to get folks to come, or better yet participate?

Scott (what a shame) B
Well, it was probably bad timing with Christmas and all, but I sure could have used the time I spent cleaning to making blanks.

EDIT: I'm not complaining. My shop "REALLY" needed cleaning.

Central Arkansas IAP Chapter Member

Last edited by BSea; 12-13-2015 at 05:05 PM.
BSea is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-13-2015, 04:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
TDE

Photos: 0

Wow, I hated that I couldn't make it but I figured everyone else would be there. I hate to just let it die but we do have to have more involved than just three or four. I have been wanting to meet the new members also. I know you and Bob have hosted most of the meetings. I feel like I'm too far away to be able to host. I could probably get permission to meet at my brothers house in Jefferson. He lives in the country so it wouldn't be a problem as far as the number. We just need to get people to-come. I don't know what to do either. Ted
TDE is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 12-13-2015, 05:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 331

Hi Scott and Bob:

I'll just offer a few random thoughts...

I have gone to a Michigan Chapter meeting (fall, 2015) (4 attended - no demos scheduled); I have been to the Indiana Chapter Meeting three times; attendance is going down each time. I went to the Wisconsin Chapter Meeting about 6-8 weeks ago (nice group 12-16, but they said it was small). I will go back to Wisconsin as I have 2 sons in Chicago. In Ohio where I am most active, we are a small but dedicated core group of 6-10 regulars with another 4-6 who stop in; but we are slowly adding members which is nice.

So basically, ALL the chapters I have gone to are having issues (attendance, demos, volunteers, etc...). This is not a critique - just an observation of what everyone is going through.

I have no solutions, but some suggestions for all of us (Ohio included).

1. Set the dates early (not 3 weeks prior), if at all possible, 3 months prior.
2. Get a list of possible demos/folks well in advance - like a year!!! Then schedule them, and if "life intervenes" someone else can step in.
3. Don't wait until 2-3-4 weeks ahead to work the attendees, try to start 2-3 months to pester them to put it on their schedule.

I realize that you both know all of this... Just my thoughts. And yes, the December holidays are a beast for adding events to schedules.

However... On a positive note (yea, every now and then I have one). I retired last Friday, so maybe in the future (2016 ???) I can take a road trip and bring the IAP Collection to the wonderful Central Arkansas Chapter! (and YES, I'm serious).

Best Regards, Mark
Wadsworth, Ohio, OH 44281
Like the Midwest Penturners Gathering Facebook Page for all current information!
mark james is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-13-2015, 07:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
IAP Activities Manager
Emeritus

Photos: 131

You should contact the Local Chapter Manager, ed4copies (Ed Brown) and allow his steering committee to take a look at your organization and offer suggestions.
Comfort Inn & Suites
5 Park Center Drive
Wadsworth, OH
Like the Midwest Penturners Gathering Facebook Page for all current information!
mbroberg is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-13-2015, 08:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark james View Post
Hi Scott and Bob:

I'll just offer a few random thoughts...

I have gone to a Michigan Chapter meeting (fall, 2015) (4 attended - no demos scheduled); I have been to the Indiana Chapter Meeting three times; attendance is going down each time. I went to the Wisconsin Chapter Meeting about 6-8 weeks ago (nice group 12-16, but they said it was small). I will go back to Wisconsin as I have 2 sons in Chicago. In Ohio where I am most active, we are a small but dedicated core group of 6-10 regulars with another 4-6 who stop in; but we are slowly adding members which is nice.

So basically, ALL the chapters I have gone to are having issues (attendance, demos, volunteers, etc...). This is not a critique - just an observation of what everyone is going through.

I have no solutions, but some suggestions for all of us (Ohio included).

1. Set the dates early (not 3 weeks prior), if at all possible, 3 months prior.

Meeting are set-up at the previous meeting. The meeting in September was set-up 3 months prior by those in attendance. We never make meetings without at least three months....

2. Get a list of possible demos/folks well in advance - like a year!!! Then schedule them, and if "life intervenes" someone else can step in.

Demo's are generally done by those that come to the meeting. For instance, I gave a demo on duck call making during the July meeting...and then put the same call into a 'swap' during the meeting. We don't have a fund or anything that would allow us to pay for demo peoples to come....

3. Don't wait until 2-3-4 weeks ahead to work the attendees, try to start 2-3 months to pester them to put it on their schedule.

Yes....we do. A lot of folks commit to coming, but as the date gets closer...poof!

I realize that you both know all of this... Just my thoughts. And yes, the December holidays are a beast for adding events to schedules.

However... On a positive note (yea, every now and then I have one). I retired last Friday, so maybe in the future (2016 ???) I can take a road trip and bring the IAP Collection to the wonderful Central Arkansas Chapter! (and YES, I'm serious).

Best Regards, Mark

Thanks for the suggestion Mark. I did my best answering the 'bullets' you brought up. And I believe between Bob and myself, we cover pretty much all of it.

@mbroberg,

I didn't realize there was such a title for someone? Steering committee?

What does a 'steering committee' do?

Scott (got me a steering wheel, but it can't make people come) B
Old 12-13-2015, 09:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'll give a few observations:

Part of our problem is we are limited to having meetings at someones shop. There are no local woodcraft or similar woodworking store. Because there aren't many true local members, it sort of falls on the same people.

Many of our members have to travel 2 hours or more one way. We call ourselves a Central Arkansas Chapter, but really our members come from all over the state. Now, I don't have a problem going a few hours away for a meeting, but people in the south part of the state aren't going to drive 3 hours or more one way for a meeting in the North part of the state.

This meeting may have been more of a perfect storm. First off, the last meeting was cancelled. Because of that, the meeting date wasn't set 3 months in advance like we normally do it. 2nd, I had to change the date from the 5th to the 12th less than a week before the 5th. We've had this happen before due to weather, and it wasn't a big issue. But with it being 2 weekends before Christmas, I think family issues got in the way for some people.

I like the format of our meetings. They are very informal with more of a party atmosphere. We don't have set hours, and people come and go as their schedule allows. We've had some meetings last 5 & 6 hours just because we were having a good time. Normally we have lunch, but many times there are things to snack on all during the meeting.

One of our problems is the lack of participation for demos. In about 20 meetings, I can think of maybe 6 people who have done demos. And several of our meetings, we've had 2 demos. Now, I know it gets harder and harder to come up with ideas. One thing that might help is a Library article of demos that have been done. Just as a central place on this forum to research ideas for meetings and demos.

All in all, I'm not upset about the lack of attendance. But it's a little frustrating trying to grow this group. I think some people have been burnt out by turning. Some have moved away, and we don't seem to find new turners as often as we do someone leaving, or quitting the hobby.

Old 12-14-2015, 12:54 AM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 15

OK... Here are some of my thoughts.

I was very intimidated to come to my first meeting. The lack of demo planned, exact time of meeting, plans during meeting, what's this swap all about, and location all played into that anxiety for me. I think for the new guys they want to know exactly what they are getting into before coming. At least it was that way for me. I probably wouldn't have come at all if I wasn't already in two other similar groups that I thoroughly enjoy, therefore I knew I would like it.

So how do we get some to get over the anxiety of the first meeting and keep old heads coming back? We have to think about why do people come to pen turning meetings instead of going to the barber shop, a book club, or any other social function? What I'm getting at is the demo's. The demo's I have seen were all good but some meetings didn't have demo's or the demo's weren't planned/advertised ahead of time.

Here's how it play's out.. It's Friday night and the wife asks me if I will go with her to do XYZ Saturday morning. It goes one of two ways "Honey, I told you last week I have the pen turning meeting tomorrow and we are going to talk about segmenting, I can't miss it" or "Well I was planning to go to the pen turning meeting tomorrow, but I guess I can skip it" Don't get me wrong, the social aspect of the meeting is WONDERFUL, but some folks won't make "hanging out with pen turners" a priority, as they would learning something new or seeing someone else's perspective on things. This is especially true of the new folks, they don't see the social aspect until after going to a meeting or two. There's no draw for them, without a demo planned. I think the idea with creating a library of "meeting topics" is a great idea. That's something I did with the woodworkers association, I went through a few years of fine woodworking and popular woodworking magazines and looked over some of the popular woodworking youtube channels. I wrote all of the topics down that I thought people would be interested in seeing. I had a list of 50 or more, I presented this to the board and asked what people would like to see, we settled on the topic, then it was "well who is qualified to teach that?" We would then corner the person we thought most qualified and ask them how they felt about doing a demo, 90% of the time they would be apprehensive but agree.

Recap, a solid start time stated in the announcement, knowing you will probably start a little late is ok... Have the plan for a demo set in pencil, doesn't mean it can't change if things fall apart the day of. Lastly, contact information and the address of the host needs to be clear in the announcement. Keep in mind a newbie to the group is going to have trouble following username's in a post, it can get quite confusing trying to figure where the meeting is.

A way forward... It's going to be tough with the 4 or 5 core people who, more often than not, attend the meetings. If the 4 or 5 hold solid meeting, wether 1 or 15 people show up, people will take note and start coming. Pictures or video of past meetings, are great for the newbie on the fence. IF YOU BUILD IT THEY WILL COME. I just wrote this long response just so I could say that...

Video the meeting and put it on youtube and I'll watch them all ;P
Old 12-14-2015, 10:03 AM   #9 (permalink)

Photos: 0

I was looking forward to going but, I have been laid off from work and have been looking.... From here to Alaska and beyond. LOL.

I like our meetings and all our members. Learnt a few things too...lol My shop is a disaster due to the boss saying we needed a yard sale...Inside. I think I can get to my lathe but if some shavings get on the stuff.....

I hope to make the next one or maybe host, if shop is cleaned up and reorganized
Old 12-14-2015, 12:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustygoose View Post
I was looking forward to going but, I have been laid off from work and have been looking.... From here to Alaska and beyond. LOL.

I like our meetings and all our members. Learnt a few things too...lol My shop is a disaster due to the boss saying we needed a yard sale...Inside. I think I can get to my lathe but if some shavings get on the stuff.....

I hope to make the next one or maybe host, if shop is cleaned up and reorganized
Hey Joe, FWIW nothing cleans a shop better than having a meeting. Yesterday my wife asked " Can you host a meeting next month too? Even a small one?". I told her that we only have them every 3 months, and they don't get much smaller.

And James, those are good thoughts. And as I mentioned a the DSWT meeting. You can always Skype. Of course our meetings start at 1 AM for you.

Back to subject at hand:

Here are things that could help. We could have a few people call everyone on our roster and find out if they plan to attend. That way, if it gets down to the last day, and only 1 person comes, we can cancel. Freddie drove in from Greenbriar. Now, we had a good visit, but I'm sure had he known, he'd have opted to stay home. We've asked people to let us know if they were coming in the past, and many people do. But there are always a few show up that we didn't hear from, and some who said they were planning to come, but didn't. This isn't a big deal one way or another unless it comes down to only 1 person or 2 attending. I have no problem with only a few, and I really didn't expect many for this last meeting. So I didn't prepare a lot of food. But for someone traveling any distance, it just isn't fair to them to be the only one who shows up.

Although I think our meeting are a lot of fun because they are somewhat unstructured, we do need some organization. So maybe a half hour devoted to planning the next meeting would help. And it's something that really needs to be shared. We need a person or two to arrange demos. As I mentioned above, a few to call people to get a more accurate count on attendance. And maybe someone to co-ordinate different ideas for a swap, so everyone knows what to expect. And all these things can be done anywhere in the state.

Now to change course a little. Some of the most fun I've had turning have been meeting at someones shop to do something. I know I've had people over at my house several times to do casting, kitless, or just to turn something with a new do-hicky. We could at least post what we planned on doing on a Saturday, and invite others to come. This may or may not make much of a difference on our scheduled meetings, but it couldn't hurt either.

Last edited by BSea; 12-14-2015 at 12:06 PM.
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads