Those who do not fill out profile

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
To clarify,

Are those who do not fill out their profile with their name and location ineligible for winning any prizes?

Dozermite mentioned in the trivia prize thread that he won't enter any more, because of that rule - and I just wanted to see if that's actually the case...

Andrew

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
maxwell_smart007 said:
To clarify,

Are those who do not fill out their profile with their name and location ineligible for winning any prizes?

Dozermite mentioned in the trivia prize thread that he won't enter any more, because of that rule - and I just wanted to see if that's actually the case...

Andrew

Yes, that is the case. If they want to participate in IAP activities they must have there first and last name and location of residence in their public profile. If they don't have the information in their public profile, participate, then win, they must complete there profile before receiving their prize.

Last edited:

Phunky_2003

I made all that happen because of my did you know post in the trivia. Mike made the comment about a question and it was really something I didnt know so thought I would add it.

Didn't know it would cause any problems. My question is.... If they win dont they figure they are going to have to supply that information anyway? Be hard to get them a prize if they dont pass out that info? Why play if your not going to do it?

mbroberg

I made all that happen because of my did you know post in the trivia. Mike made the comment about a question and it was really something I didnt know so thought I would add it.

Didn't know it would cause any problems. My question is.... If they win dont they figure they are going to have to supply that information anyway? Be hard to get them a prize if they dont pass out that info? Why play if your not going to do it?

You didn't create any problem at all. I was hoping that you would provide this information to the membership as part of your trivia question. I have been publicizing this require3ment since the first of the year. People just seem to ignore this type of information.

If any of you notice someone has entered a contest without having their first and last name, and location of residence in their public profile please contact them and tell them to update their profile or they will be ineligible to win. Please verify that all winners have the information in their profile. If they don't, let them know that they must update their profile befor their prize will be sent to them. If you do not want to make any such notification just get ahold of me and I will do it.

Direct anyone who has any questions or concerns about this requirement to me. I'll be glad to talk with them.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
OK, playing the Devil's advocate here...what does it matter if they have that info in their profile? What is the reasoning for that requirement? Some of the bash planner had a cow about requiring folks to include their real name and address in the entry form that only goes to contest organizer but no one has questioned this policy. Not at all suggesting we change the rules mid stream on this requirement, I just would like to understand the reasoning behind it.

mbroberg

The reason is, participants in other activities such as swaps or, for lack of a better term, pass along activities have failed to liove up to their obligations to the other members participating in those activities. Several people sent out pens during the PITH, but never heard from their partner again and never got a pen in return. Some of the offenders have been on the site since, but have failed to respond to PMs, etc. another example are the people in the. "Chain" type of activity. An item or items are mailed to one member who is suppose to send it on to another member, but fails to do so and fails to respond to pleas to send it on. In an attempt to curtail this type of irresponsibility, and after it was discussed by the management team, the rule in question was put in place.

While Bash activities do not really lend themselves to this type of dependancy on other members, the rule applies to ALL IAP acticities. Therefore, the rule applies to Bash activities, as do all the other rules that apply to IAP Activities. since the rule is in place, it should be enforced.

To get back to basics my question would be, why do they have to? If I didn't want that info public what is stopping me from using a different last name and a different location?
To me it isn't that big of a deal either way.

mbroberg

To get back to basics my question would be, why do they have to? If I didn't want that info public what is stopping me from using a different last name and a different location?
To me it isn't that big of a deal either way.

Nothing can stop a person from lying if that is what they want to do. People could lie during their initial registration also. Does that mean we should just cease registering people and make this forum open to anyone who chooses to create a username? Does that mean we should just call it a pointless endevor, and stop trying? There is a problem, I'm trying to address it. The solution may not be perfect, nor may it be all that is needed to solve the problem. But it's an honest attempt.

Is it too much to ask that people who participate in our activities, win our prizes and otherwise benefit from what this site has to offer tell us who they are?

JerrySambrook

An aside to this, If you go to the last guess entry in the first week's WOOD ID contest made by Tomspens

He has NO profile, and if you click to his website, you cannot EASILY find out who you are contacting.

What do you folks want done in a harder to reach than normal case?

Top Bottom