Z's tip of the day

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Zirnike

When attempting to remove the kit from the tubes of a completed but messed up pen, remember not to clamp the tube _ON_ the section where the press fit is.

This has been a tip from Zirnike.

(aside, but related: You know you're a penturner when you have a 27/64 drill bit and a 29/64 bit, but not a 7/16 (28/64 for the math impaired...))

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

When attempting to remove the kit from the tubes of a completed but messed up pen, remember not to clamp the tube _ON_ the section where the press fit is.

This has been a tip from Zirnike.

(aside, but related: You know you're a penturner when you have a 27/64 drill bit and a 29/64 bit, but not a 7/16 (28/64 for the math impaired...))

You know that only pot bellied old plumbers and such own 7/16" bits. The more refined craftsmen such as ourselves posses such painstakingly accurate cutting tools as the 28 and 29 64th versions. Nothing is to much for a fine crafted writing instrument.

JimB

I don't clamp anything when disassembling. I just hold it in my hand. If the blank is to slippery to hold wear a rubber glove or wrap a rubber band around the blank. If using a disasembly tool to remove the tranmission, slide the transmission into the large round metal thing and stand it up on that on your bench, use the rod and knock the tranmission down into it.

Paul in OKC

You know that only pot bellied old plumbers and such own 7/16" bits. The more refined craftsmen such as ourselves posses such painstakingly accurate cutting tools as the 28 and 29 64th versions. Nothing is to much for a fine crafted writing instrument.

I am not, and I do own one. I guess that puts me in the 'and such' catagory? Or is there a step above the refined craftsman you get to when you do have one that size:cool:

Daniel

Paul, Yes there is a step above the Refined. This is when you have to own the exact same size bit only labeled as a number or Metric bit. This is what woudl be known as "Snob Level" where "You know old chap, only the properly labeled bit will suffice. allow me to refresh your Brandy my boy"

Zirnike

I don't get it.:confused: If there's a trick using a clamp to disassemble a pen, PLEASE share it with us, I LOVE tricks!!:biggrin:

No real trick to it. I put the tube into a (padded) vice, and used a (almost, see 7/16 bit, lack of) tube-ID sized drill bit flat down, and used a wooden mallet to tap the pointy end of the bit.

The problem was that I clamped the tube at the same point where the press fit of the kit's fitting was. This causes the tube to press even harder on the press fit, which means the tapping on the bit was totally useless. I spend 20 minutes and the head of the mallet and got less than a 1/16 gap. Then I smacked my head, moved the tube, and removed the piece in under 2 minutes.

I tried using my hands, but my hands are large, and the pen tube is small. I couldn't get a good grip.

GaryMadore

Heh heh ... Or, you know you're a penturner when your drill bit collection includes million-dollar brad-points designated by letters instead of numbers

Cheers!

Gary (who the heck ever needed an "O" or a "V" before, anyway???)

Rudy Vey

No real trick to it. I put the tube into a (padded) vice, and used a (almost, see 7/16 bit, lack of) tube-ID sized drill bit flat down, and used a wooden mallet to tap the pointy end of the bit.

The problem was that I clamped the tube at the same point where the press fit of the kit's fitting was. This causes the tube to press even harder on the press fit, which means the tapping on the bit was totally useless. I spend 20 minutes and the head of the mallet and got less than a 1/16 gap. Then I smacked my head, moved the tube, and removed the piece in under 2 minutes.

I tried using my hands, but my hands are large, and the pen tube is small. I couldn't get a good grip.

Many of us more seasoned pen turners are using transfer punches from HF to dis-assemble a pen. The trick here is to hold the barrel with your hand (not clamping it with a clamp, vise or else) and use the best fitting punch and carefully whack the parts out using a mallet. Sometimes I use a rubbermat one would call either a router mat or drawer lining material (same material, just much cheaper when you buy the drawer liners in the $-store). Haven't had a pen that would not give up after some time.

nava1uni

I use the transfer punches, but also have a piece of hardwood drilled that the transmission will fit through, but not the body of the pen. This way I can get a little better grip on it due to arthritis. Works everytime.

Zirnike

I didn't have any transfer punches, and Harbor Freight is way out of my way. It's on my list of stuff to get, though.

Probably later. Right now, I'm annoyed because I just put my finger between a spur bit and the toolrest. Good thing I have excellent reaction time...

Top Bottom