Zig Zags

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

workinforwood

I'm sure someone has already performed this idea in the past, but I haven't seen it done. I ripped assorted 3/4 stock into slightly larger than 1/16 thin strips. Then cleaned up saw marks through drum sander. Glued all the strips together. Chopped them 22.5 degrees at 1/2 long, all cuts same direction so you have parrallelograms. flip every second one and reglue. The two outside strips where likely a waste of time. I have my doubts the green sumac will survive stock removal into a pen, but who knows. Should be an interesting looking pen, and quite simple to make. The segment on each end is slightly out of alignment, but the blank is more than long enough for a pen, so I'll chop those two out before drilling. Have a great weekend...keep turning!

2007929134046_segfinish%20004.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

oldsmokey

Jeff, I had some left over feature ring from a bowl and I used it for a pen blank. Didn't like the results. I thought about doing it again with narrow strips like you have done. This could work and make a nice pen. Also I thought about going to third generation segmented ring strip. You might try that one next if you like this one.
Looking forward to seeing the finished pen.

toolcrazy

You may want to square up the blank, then cut the corners off to make it somewhat round. Maybe this will minimize the tearing. And use lots of CA to stabilize it.

Randy_

Originally posted by toolcrazy
<br />You may want to square up the blank, then cut the corners off to make it somewhat round. Maybe this will minimize the tearing. And use lots of CA to stabilize it.

I had the same concern. This looks like a blank that might need very light cuts and extremely sharp tools. After going to all of the trouble constructing this blank, this might be a good spot for the 80 grit gouge??

Be sure to let us know how it turns out. It should be an interesting look!!

workinforwood

Actually, it spins and turns easy. I did not CA it. What I did do was forget to center the drill properly. I centered it with an x as would usually be the case, but that was a booboo, and I knew it was, but then forgot. The result is the zig zag is fractionally off center. What I meant to do was draw a line on both sides of the blank to determine the true center, which is half way inbetween the center zig zag. Then draw that across the top and then drill. I really like it, so I'll have to make some more and drill those proper. This one is still an easy sell though, because it's interesting to look at. By having all strips, you end up with ovals on the sides. I'm thinking I'll make more of these, but also ones with only the 3 center zigs and the outside all solid. I'd show you the pen, but I only have it turned using tubes...I don't have an actual pen kit to assemble it, need to order some.

I'm curious what a third generation segmented strip is. I re-use pieces from bowls, triangles, slices whatever, just keep gluing every little scrap together in every direction. Gets pretty wild looking, but people love em that way.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
All that build up in the title and we end up talking about pen blanks???

Sine my idea of Zig Zags appears to be different from others', how about some captive diamonds?

2007929181523_CaptiveDiamonds.jpg

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
My first thoughts also [:0]

Nice pen by the way DC, I love segments [:)]

Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />All that build up in the title and we end up talking about pen blanks???

Sine my idea of Zig Zags appears to be different from others', how about some captive diamonds?

workinforwood

I don't know that it's alot of build up. Why not discuss wood pen blanks, especially segmentation ones? I personally find that a stick of wood in a pen isn't that exciting. I know...there's lots of awesome pieces of wood with figures and burls. There's infinite possibilities though with segments. Then, I see some, even simpler ones at times in the forums with people asking the creators of that particular pen how it was done. So I put it all together and figure here you go, a different blank idea.

Ron Mc

Jeff,
This will make a very nice pen. What type of pen do you have in mind? I ask because this will let everyone know what it will look like when completed.
Nice work on the glue up!

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Jeff,
Believe that I totally misunderstood the subject of your post "zigzags" and my comment was NOT about your segmentations.

Looks like you did a great job on glue up of the segments.
I personally create feature strips for the segmented bowls that I turn, and fully understand how time consuming these are to make.

I never considered making a pen out of the strips, be sure to post yours.

Originally posted by penhead
<br />My first thoughts also [:0]

Nice pen by the way DC, I love segments [:)]

Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />All that build up in the title and we end up talking about pen blanks???

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Jeff - I think you need to be as old as me to have caught my subtle, perhapps too subtle, attempt at drug humor. If you had grown up in the 60's you'd definitely remember ZigZag for a totally different reason. That is a very nice segmentation and I can't wait to see the resultant pen. I'm sorry if my lame attempt at humor insulted you.

cutterwoodjoe

Hey Lou,
I understood it and still know a buch of people with the tattoo of that guy [:)]. and I think it will make a good looking pen also Jeff

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Hey Lou, I was in a bit of a purple haze so I almost missed your reference! [;)]

Joe, as many tatts as you have you don't have that one? [:0]

Old guy kidding aside, Jeff, that is an amazing blank. Just thinking about the fabrication of it makes my head hurt! I am eagerly awaiting the final result.

workinforwood

I had to pick up an actual kit. I was just experimenting with this idea and figured I'd throw it out there. I have to figure there's a bazillion different possibilities and am always hoping to inspire someone to share a new design idea. This pen is a Euro. It would be a bit better perhaps in a cigar or rollerball, but it's a starter experiment. I glued up some more strips, more solid on the sides. I like the circles on the sides, but I think no circles would be a cleaner look, thus eliminating a few strips with wider solid strips. This is a good pen for me to carry around in my pocket though, as it does have some wow factor. Hope to see some of you guys make some of these. Forgive my photography as usual...I need a better camera. I did get a pretty clear shot, but a bit of glare and a spot of dust I see, ho hum. But it's the best of 30 photo's I took.

200710117236_zigzag%20001.jpg

GaryMGg

Jeff,

I think it's great that you're posting your ideas for blank construction. The Zig Zag looks pretty nice. I'd love to see a bigger photo, but I like what I see. Keep those creative juices flowing. [;)]

I forgot to say the glue-up I had going while you posted your popcan Brick/Mortar is done; a couple of issues that I'll change for next time. I used two different thicknesses of maple veener for the vertical mortar and coke can for the horizontal. The pattern repeats four times around the blank. Two of each mirror the other. Here's one look:
SatinNickelSapelleMapleCoke2.jpg

broitblat

Jeff,

That looks like it came out pretty well. I had been experimenting with some similar ideas (see below), but I like the way yours worked out.

-Barry

"

broitblat

Originally posted by workinforwood
<br />Those are cool ideas too Barry. How'd you get the masks in..scroll it and then pour liquid inlace? It's an awesome pen and conversation piece..I love it.

Thanks, Jeff.

The masks were laser engraved and then color filled.

-Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom