The Zen Pen - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2018, 10:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 104

Default The Zen Pen

I do not keep up with all the latest pen kits available and really have not bought many new ones lately, so I will ask the masses here. Is there any other kit that is similar to the Zen kit?? In that it is a single long tube. Do not care what the cap it. Looking for one with abit more meat on it than the Zen. Thanks in advance.

My Photo Album
jttheclockman is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-19-2018, 10:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 0

I haven’t turned a Zen Pen but from what I’ve seen of it the RAW rollerball at PSI looks to be similar. Personally, I like the RAW kit.

Russ
Sly Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-19-2018, 11:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 76

John,

What do you mean by "meat" ? ... thickness of barrel material after turning to correct diameter ?

If that's what you mean, I don't think you will find a "Zen-alike" with greater thickness.

I have turned quite a few Zens. . The brass tube diameter could be changed to a smaller size if you are prepared to fiddle around with the hardware pieces (nib end and finial end) to match with the smaller brass tube. . This would mean customization of these metal parts.

As designed, the Zen uses a 10.5 mm brass tube (so-called) and I am thinking of a reduction to 3/8" or even 23/64" or even less.

The spring diameter (spring goes at rear end, being a rollerball design) may be a minor consideration but you could possibly go down to even a 7mm brass tube and still accommodate the refill.

I have never done such a customization of the Zen, but I think it would be quite possible.

Last edited by magpens; 12-19-2018 at 11:13 PM.
magpens is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 12-19-2018, 11:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpens View Post
John,

What do you mean by "meat" ? ... thickness of barrel material after turning to correct diameter ?

If that's what you mean, I don't think you will find a "Zen-alike" with greater thickness.

I have turned quite a few Zens. . The brass tube diameter could be changed to a smaller size if you are prepared to fiddle around with the hardware pieces (nib end and finial end) to match with the smaller brass tube. . This would mean customization of these metal parts
Yes looking to cast on it so I need more area. No do not want to fiddle. Thanks.

My Photo Album
Old 12-20-2018, 01:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 76

John,

I don't know what it is you are planning to cast, but it is something that could take up a lot of "meat" (as defined above), by inference from what you have stated.

I calculated the meat thickness (ie. blank material wall thickness after the blank has been turned to finished size) on the Zen.

The thickness is 0.056", which is not bad when you consider that for the Sierra twist this number is about 0.042", and people do cast things like watch parts in blanks intended for Sierra pen kits.

Personally, for my purposes in using such blanks with "junk" of one kind or another embedded in the casting, I like to see a finished blank thickness of 0.060" or more ... but you don't often get that.

So, the Zen blank thickness of 0.056" is getting close to my target.

I hope I have done the calcs correctly. . Based on data I have, the finished Zen blank is designed to be 0.512" and the Zen brass tube diameter is 0.400". . These numbers result in a finished blank wall thickness of (0.512 - 0.400)/2 = 0.056".

Of course, this number applies to the ends of the blank where it meets the nib and finial hardware pieces. . Note that the finished blank does not need to be turned with precisely uniform diameteralong its length. . There could be a slight bulge in the middle, depending on the aesthetic tastes of the turner. . And if there is a bulge, the available thickness for "junk" would be greater than 0.056".

That's all I intend to say, unless you require any clarification.

Last edited by magpens; 12-20-2018 at 01:19 AM.
magpens is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-20-2018, 03:19 AM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 5

Default The Zen Pen

The Graduate magnetic is a little meatier than the Zen with a turned cap and a long body. The Vertex Magnetic has the same dimensions as the Graduate. Both are 0.516 OD at the ends with a 0:400 tube.
When I get to work later today, I can scan my spreadsheet of pen kit data and see which kits have the max blank thickness along with barrel length. What are you targeting?

Danny

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Last edited by More4dan; 12-20-2018 at 03:22 AM.
More4dan is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-20-2018, 03:56 AM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 227

Does it need to cost less than $35 ??
Old 12-20-2018, 09:22 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiprat View Post
Does it need to cost less than $35 ??
Trouble maker

My Photo Album
Old 12-20-2018, 09:24 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by More4dan View Post
The Graduate magnetic is a little meatier than the Zen with a turned cap and a long body. The Vertex Magnetic has the same dimensions as the Graduate. Both are 0.516 OD at the ends with a 0:400 tube.
When I get to work later today, I can scan my spreadsheet of pen kit data and see which kits have the max blank thickness along with barrel length. What are you targeting?

Danny

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app
Dan I will look at the graduate. I want to stay with the Zen profile. Long and straight. I know about Sierras and and other kits with more meat such as Majestics. If i know the kits names I can look in the library to see the charts unless they are a new kit and not have been updated. Thanks.

My Photo Album
Old 12-20-2018, 11:35 AM   #10 (permalink)

Photos: 80

I like the zen. You can get a lot of stuff on the tube. And it's quite a bit under $35.00 :)
Attached Thumbnails
48378312_737544126601899_3297016689698275328_n.jpg  

Check out my Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/EBWoodworx/
EBorraga is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads