The Zen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

OK what are you all using in the Zen pen as refills. The one that comes with it was actually a nice writer (schmidt 888) Where can I get those refills. I did a review on this pen awhile ago and have to tell you it has become a keeper for use and sale. I like it alot.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jack Parker

John, I usually swap the 888 for a 5888 in the one's that I sell.

Hello Jack

Can you explain why you do this??? What is the difference between the 2. Where can you get the one you listed?? Thanks

John,

I get mine from Ed and Dawn at Exotic Blanks. The 5888's seem to be a bit smoother writing. I usually choose the upgrade when I buy my kits. I do keep a small stock of the 5888's on hand to replace the provided refills in the PSI RB kits that we build and I keep a small supply with blue ink for my lawyer clients. I usually provide a sheet with our pens showing replacement of the refills and I will point out on that sheet that we are providing an upgraded refill.
Thanks,
Jack

SteveG

I go the other way with opinion on the two refills...I think one is as good as the other. So I recommend the less expensive option. I also think that MOST, (not all), in a double blind test, would not be able to ID which is which when writing with the two. YMMV, of course! :eek::rolleyes:

Krisfiz

Hi, Sorry can't comment on the refills but what a great looking pen, been interested in making that sort of blank, how do you make them? and anyone know if zen kits available in the UK?
regards
Chris

jttheclockman

Hi, Sorry can't comment on the refills but what a great looking pen, been interested in making that sort of blank, how do you make them? and anyone know if zen kits available in the UK?
regards
Chris

Hello Chris and welcome to the site. Thanks for the kind words.

I do not know about the UK suppliers. I am sure some of the members here will be able to help with that.

What I do know is how I made this blank. This is a segmented blank. There are a couple different ways to doing blanks like this. You can use the stave method which requires cutting small strips of material cut in a stave design. (Think wine barrels) Then you can sandwich the highlighted color material which in this case is the black acrylic between the staves as you glue the blank up. The end rings are pretty self explanatory.

But what I do, because I do other type blanks that use this look, I use a router to cut slots in a round blank and infill with my contrasting color. I run the router on a jig I made some time ago. It works quite well and I can do all kinds of neat things with it. I have shown a few pen ideas here before. While I was recuperating I thought of a few more ideas and another way to use the jig so I will be doing that over some time in the near future. If you want to see the jig and read about it here in the Segmenting forum.

www.penturners.org/forum/f179/my-jig-104253/

That Segmenting Forum is a wealth of great info and photos of great looking segmented pens. If you have segmenting questions that is the place to ask. The world of segmenting is at your finger tips. Check out the thread titled

www.penturners.org/forum/f179/no-comments-just-post-new-segmented-pens-likes-111419/

Mike started that thread a few years ago and any segmented pens are encouraged to be placed in there for future references. It is a wealth of some great looking segmented pens. You do not find this stuff anywhere else on the net.

Krisfiz

Thanks for your advice John, the thread on the router set up is very useful. I have a similar set up for fluting on larger woodturnings that I should be able to adapt.
There's so much information on this site, I'm still finding my way around but will keep looking for segmenting ideas.
Regards
Chris

jttheclockman

Beautiful pen John...I've never made a zen but like the looks...just wanted to ask is that postable?

Hello George

Thanks for the kind words. Yes the pen cap is postable. What I like about it is magnetic so not threads to worry about. Fits on the end of the pen very nicely and is well balanced. As I had mentioned when I reviewed this pen some time ago, I grew to like it alot. I am using one like this as my desk pen. Ran out of ink the other day so am looking for refills, thus the question. Thanks again.

Top Bottom