Zapote wood? 0_o

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

flyfisher117

I was down at wood craft today and figured I need to stop turning acrylic pens and start mastering the art of CA finishing wood pens.

I didnt want to be buy fancy wood so i picked up some cheap Maple that was $1.00 for a foot and then i saw some Zapote that was also cheap.

I didnt know what it was when i grabbed it and i asked the guys what it turns like and they told me it was just a tight grained wood. I got home and read on another forum that guys have had Zapote throw sparks off of their saw blades its so dense and that they dont turn it because it would dull their tools too fast... is this true? Would it make an ok pen without dulling my tools too much?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Never heard of it. If you get a chance, could you post a picture---I could learn something new.

thanks, either way I learned a new word.

PenMan1

Never seen it, heard of it and can't find it in any if my wood books. The closest I can come is bucote .... And that's 25 letters away:)

PenMan1

Ah ha! I think I found it. Listed as Chico Burl, it grows near Los Angles in the U.S. And is used in making chewing gum.

Chico Zapote is a very hard, strong, dense wood. It's color varies from a deep, solid reddish-brown to a light reddish-orange, and often a combination of both colors. Sapwood is cream in color, and makes for a nice contrast against all the red hues. It is normal for Chico Zapote to have some minor checking and/or gum pockets. The Zapote tree is used to make chewing gum!

PenMan1

The sparks likely come from the heat of the sawblade igniting the resin. Apparently, this stuff has more pitch than Georgia Fat Lighter and is harder than a brick!

Sounds like something I need to play with.....haven't set the shop on fire since we installed the sprinkler system. Could be fun:)

flyfisher117

Heres the best pictures i can get. the one has a plain paint stir stick next to it to try and show its color. I havent stripped any wax off of it yet. What do you think... give it a try?

apote002.jpg

apote001.jpg

apote003.jpg

flyfisher117

... alright my photobucket has issues so if there is still someone curious about the wood can you PM me your email address so i can just send the pictures that way?

Top Bottom