your opinion please

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

old folks

PSI three items...1) Super Blank Cutting System
2) Multi Size Drill Guite
3) 7 pc Universal Barrel trimming System

Would the above be a good investment for a new turner with a very limited budjet and not very many shop tools. Thank you
John

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ryannmphs

I have the 7pc Barrel trimming system. This comes in handy only when doing several different sytles of kits that have different tube sizes. If you are planning on trying all the different kits you can I think this would be a good investment. OTH, if you're just planning on doing the same kit for a while, I would just get the trimmer for that kit.

Ryan

pen-turners

Originally posted by old folks
<br />
PSI three items...1) Super Blank Cutting System
2) Multi Size Drill Guite
3) 7 pc Universal Barrel trimming System

Would the above be a good investment for a new turner with a very limited budjet and not very many shop tools. Thank you
John

John,
IMHO do not waste your $$$ on the Blank cutting system. The only thing I can honestly recommend is the Universal Barrel Trimming system. Just my opinion but I think others will feel the same.

Chris

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Just starting out I would say save your money on all the above.
Although I would recommend highly the universal trimming kit, when starting out you will probably make a number of the same kit for awhile, and most likely by the time you ae ready to try another kit style, your barrel trimmer will need sharpening...that's when I would recommend buying the trimming kit..because you will probably find that sharpening the cutters on that thing is the biggest pain....however, if you are good at sharpening, go for the kit..

JohnPayton

Fleabit

The one bad thing about the drilling guide is that it is only good up to a 5/8 inch blank. Since I do most of my work with 3/4 inch blanks, it was a bad buy for me [:(] If you have the money, the barrel trimming set is good, but you will find you will be doing a lot of 7mm pens for a while and therefore may only want to get a 7mm trimming tool for now. I forget which company, but they sell bigger guides for the trimmer as you move up in pens. I have no exerpience whith the blank making kit.

Hope I did not confuse you more!

Rifleman1776

IMHO: barrel trimming system, a waste of money. It tears wood and is hard to use. I use disk sander almost exclusively for trimming and squaring. Drilling guide will probably be O.K. But I spent a couple dollars more and got a machinists cross adjustable drill press vice. It hold firmly and is infinitely adjustable to bring center right under tip of drill. A real time and wood saver. But for all tools (disk sander, drill press) make sure everything is square, then check it again.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Put me down on the side of the barrel trimming system. I use a small triangular file and resharpen mine regularly using the highly accurate "eyeball" system, and it cuts nicely with no overheating of the wood or the cutter.

woodscavenger

I just got the trimmer and love it. I have heard no good replies about the blank cutter system. If you have a drill press there are plenty of DIY vises. Lood at my album for a photo of mine.

Gary

I gave up on the barrel trimmer/pen mills...tore out too many burls. I've built a jig for my disc sander and use it now and haven't had any more problems.

jwoodwright

If you're making all different styles of pens, IE 7mm, 8mm, 10mm kits, then the barrel trimmer set is good.

If all you plan are 7mm Slimline kits, you can save with just the 7mm barrel trimmer.

If you have a drill press, you do not need the drill guide...[:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom