Your opinion

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Robert A.

Just turned a black cherry burl euro.The thing is it has some voids.I'm using a copper kit.Not sure which vender I got it in a trade.Anyway I was thinking of filing off some copper pipe.Plan on using CA to set it in.The ring on the top cap has a black ring on it.So I got to thinking.I know be careful.How about some pencil lead?Just thought I would ask before I do it.I've never done that before.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mick

I think....(now bear in mind I get in a lot of trouble with these words), but I think some crushed turquiose would be a good contrast. My way of looking at it if the copper doesn't match the color of the fittings it won't look quite right, whereas the turquiose will stand out.

Robert A.

I think....(now bear in mind I get in a lot of trouble with these words), but I think some crushed turquiose would be a good contrast. My way of looking at it if the copper doesn't match the color of the fittings it won't look quite right, whereas the turquiose will stand out.

I agree with a contrast stone.But the thing is I got NO funds.Thanks though I hadn't really thought about the copper not matching.

mick

How much would you need? I think I've got some turquoise I could share.

I agree with a contrast stone.But the thing is I got NO funds.Thanks though I hadn't really thought about the copper not matching.

juteck

With cherry burl, something black looks great -- try blackwood or ebony dust, or even mixing epoxy with a black india ink or graphite - you don't need much. Coffee grounds and CA also look great too.

thewishman

I save some shavings from different materials and use that when I want to fill in voids. Got to do something with all of these kit bags (the old kit bags that aren't packed with troubles :biggrin:).

Robert A.

Thanks for the help folks.It want take much there is one "void' and a few cracks.I also save some shavings from the different woods that I turn.I may try one of those.

sbwertz

I bought some of this

http://cgi.ebay.com/GENUINE-TURQUOI...973?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item483c70ba35

Also jasper, rose quartz, peridot and amethyst. The peices were too big for inlaying into a pen so I put some in the cut off finger of a nitrile glove and beat it with a sledge hammer on an anvil. Worked great, and the price is super cheap.

Sharon

mick

Robert, PM me your address. I'll send you some turquoise. You might need to crush it up a little finer for the cracks but it's not that hard. For the void, fillit tojust below your finish diameter and flood with thin CA

Thanks for the help folks.It want take much there is one "void' and a few cracks.I also save some shavings from the different woods that I turn.I may try one of those.

gr8danish

My new favorite filler is actually Behlen's analyine dye mixed in with epoxy. It only takes a drop on the end of a toothpick to color a whole dixie cup of epoxy. They make a ton of different colors, and it's ony a few bucks for a 2oz jar of the stuff.

I think that either black, red, or brown would go nicely with your Cherry burl. Just coat the outside of your blank with the stuff, and then use a putty knife to scrape off the excess. Let it cure for 24 hours, and then sand the exterior to expose the burl again.

Robert A.

My new favorite filler is actually Behlen's analyine dye mixed in with epoxy. It only takes a drop on the end of a toothpick to color a whole dixie cup of epoxy. They make a ton of different colors, and it's ony a few bucks for a 2oz jar of the stuff.

I think that either black, red, or brown would go nicely with your Cherry burl. Just coat the outside of your blank with the stuff, and then use a putty knife to scrape off the excess. Let it cure for 24 hours, and then sand the exterior to expose the burl again.

Where can you get it?

redfishsc

If the void doesn't have exposed brass tubes, I fill them with clear. This maintains the look of "natural wood"..... although larger (or more numerous) voids filled with turquoise looks beautiful.

If there is exposed tube, I have filled them before with Pearl-ex pigments and CA, but they didn't look all that nice in the end... bummer.....

fiferb

Have you considered using the sanding dust from the pen itself? Virtually hides cracks and often makes voids look like the wood naturally.

Top Bottom