Your Guidance and Suggestions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a small craft show in the area in early November and early December. I am thinking about testing the waters by putting a half table display in the show and see if I can sell some pens.

I don't want to go way overboard, the show is only for five hours on a Sunday afternoon at a local farmers market.

What kind of mix of pen styles would be appropriate to find out what, if anything I can sell?

I have already decided not to go with the lower price 24k gold kits, if I am going to sell something I want the finish to hold up. I am experimenting this weekend with Bill in Idaho's dip and spin lacquer finish to see if I can make it work and get a good looking finish.

But what do you guys and ladies suggest, 20-30 Slimlines, 10-20 variations on Slimlines, Cigars, European, American styles? Should I include a few high end pens, like buffalo horn with sterling silver trim like Berea sells or just leave that off for another day? A mix of finishes, titanium, chrome, satin, black titanium?

I don't want to go off the deep end with several hundred pens, just a good display that doesn't look crappy and has a representative sample of what people are buying.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Definately include some high priced pieces... you never know what the public is going to want... also the high priced pieces will make your lower priced slimlines, streamlines, etc look like bargains...
Also make sure you have some nice striking pens in a medium price range for those that want something a little nicer, but don't want to spend the big bucks..
As for kit colors, I usually stick with Gold, Chrome, Satin Nickel and Black Chrome. And obviously try to pick a wood that really goes good with the finish color.. i.e cocobolo and chrome are stunning combinations..
Also make sure that you label all your pens as to species of wood..
I like to have a bunch of multi-wood pens available and have found that setting up and making them does not take that much extra time and I can keep the price the same as most of my streamlines.. just set up and decide to prep a bunch of blanks at one time...

wayneis

Mac the big thing is, what kind of people will be coming to the craft fair? Some of them are similar to yard sales where you almost have to give your stuff away and then there are others that the people come planning to spend money for nice quality products. If its anything like our farmers markets, I would not expect much. IMHO.

Wayne

Rudy Vey

Bring a variety from reasonable priced slimlines to higher priced rollerballs and fountain pens, but do not expect too much. I have had at all shows that I attended so far made the following experience: there is always one person who stops by you and looks at the really cheap, i.e. reasonable priced, items, but later comes back and buys that Fountain pen or pen/pencil set.
Good luck and don't give up when the first shows do not work out for you.
Rudy

jwoodwright

People like to touch pens. I've sold a lot. Each one was handled before they decided. Have a pad available. Have other color pen refills. I had a Lady who wanted the pen, but with blue ink... Lost the sale...[:(]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom