Your ganna kill me,,,Baron or Jr. Gent?,,, long,,,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stevers

Hi All,

Ok first off, lets have it. I know this subject has been run into the ground. I even did a search and got back good results with lots of answerers.

But here's what I need. I trust all (most[}:)]) of you, and after researching this issue more, I am even more undecided than when I started researching.

Here goes. Most of you have seen my recent jump into closed enders. So far, all I have tried is 7mm stuff. I want to get into a larger cap style pen. I have seen some really, really nice Jr. Gent/Baron style closed end pens. I prefer the nib end to be closed. Leaving the clip and finial.

That said;
I already turn the Jr. Gent, Jr. Statesman series. Have all the bits and bushings. Like the pen style. Can be considered a larger pen style for some. Part of the reason I was looking at the baron. "But", from what I understand in my reading, the Baron does "not" come in a smooth finial (non posting) style kit. This would mean the threads would always be exposed even though they where useless. (when opened) Am I correct in this assumption? I also read something negative about the Baron clip. This also correct?

If I switch to the Baron, I will have to buy bushings, bits I think I have or can wrangle up. As far as the closed end mandrel, I will be buying it no matter what, whichever way I decide to go. I also read that the Jr. series comes in more platings and can often be had for less or at least close to the same as the Baron.

I was lucky enough to trade for a Baron pen when a pen turning Friend and I had a nice visit. Therefor, I have one in my possession, even though I did not make it. This is what got me thinking about the smaller pen style.

So, long story short,,,,I know, to late,,,,,what do some of you think about all of this? Writing this just about made my mind up for me. But I would like to hear from some of you. At least some of my Buds can toss in their two cents worth for me.

Does it help the Barons case that the Sadona and Navigater are the same and could help widen the options for the Baron, or would they widen the options at all?

OK, I'm done and hope I didn't annoy too many of you. Thanks in advance for any opinions,,,,or should I say, confirmation?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Buzz

Steve, I don't understand what you mean by the thread being visible and useless when the pen is open. If you close-end the pen they are gone, if you don't they are used to post the cap. What did you mean by "prefer the nib end to be closed"?

I think you will find that the Baron is available in at least as many plating options, if not more, than the Jr Gent's. I have used Ti Gold, Black Ti, Chrome and Platinum. The Sedona, which uses the same tubes and bushes, I have used in Ti Gold and Sterling Silver. This is six different options to choose from when you take your blank off the lathe, and is doubled when you consider that they can be either a Fountain or Rollerball, good options to have.

I personally prefer the nib section on the Baron to that of the Jr Gent's. I really don't think that there is anything between them in terms of quality of construction. Perhaps the only issue you may have is that the Jr rollerball comes with the Schmidt refill and the Baron with a Hauser. Schmidt are generally regarded as superior.

Russianwolf

If you are close ending the cap, then the cap will still be postable, so the thread won't be useless.

If you are close ending the main body, then the threads will be gone and the pen will not be postable.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Plating options for the Baron: upgrade gold, gold titanium, platinum, black titanium, satin nickel, sterling silver, chrome, bright copper.
Plating options for the Sedona are the same except no satin nickel.

Plating options for the Jr. Gent: 10k, titanium (gold), black titanium, rhodium and copper.

You are correct that the Jr. Gent comes in either a smooth or a postable endpiece and the Baron/Sedona do not. If you are closing the end rather than the cap, that should not matter as neither piece will be used. If you are closing the cap, the Baron/Sedona will be posting pens and the end threads will show. The Jr Gent can be smooth or threaded, but the smooth will not post.

The Jr. Gent is in the same price range as the Baron and Sedona. The Jr. Statesman and Jr. Emperor are significantly more expensive kits.

I believe it boils down to personal preference.

cowchaser

I won't touch anything other than the baron clip. Barons are the only thing I have been turning in the last few weeks. Out of 12 pens I have had all but 3 of them with slightly loose clips. One was extremely loose. I can push cap end in with my fingers without much pressure. I then have to squeeze it with a press to the point it feels like the barrel is going to shatter. It seems to tighten them up some, but not where I would exactly like it. I used ca a few times, but it almost seems like a bandaid. That probably don't help you much.

stevers

Thanks so far. Lou, that answered quite a few.
I plan to pick up the mandrel to close the lower end, not the cap. I like the idea of leaving the clip and finial on. If for no other reason, it will stay where I put it, but I also like the look of a clip and finial. Plus, I plan to try my hand at the decorative finial idea, like the tutorial in the library.
Thanks for the responses so far. It is very helpful.

stevers

Thanks for the input. The mandrel is ordered for the Jr. Gent series, nib end. Along with a few kits and spare tubes from CSUSA. I have everything else. Including a couple of blanks curing as we speak, WW of course. Now I just need to get in on a group buy from CSUSA. And no I am not running one.[:p]
More to come.

bitshird

Originally posted by cowchaser

I won't touch anything other than the baron clip. Barons are the only thing I have been turning in the last few weeks. Out of 12 pens I have had all but 3 of them with slightly loose clips. One was extremely loose. I can push cap end in with my fingers without much pressure. I then have to squeeze it with a press to the point it feels like the barrel is going to shatter. It seems to tighten them up some, but not where I would exactly like it. I used ca a few times, but it almost seems like a bandaid. That probably don't help you much.
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with that problem :D:D

Top Bottom