Your favorite Parker-style refill----??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

redfishsc

I'm kinda polling and seeing what people prefer to use in their parker-style kits. I am greatly disappointed in the quality of the refills that come with the kits and I'd rather pay a buck or two for a quality refill to put in it so I will know that my customer is getting a pen that won't choke on them two days into owning it.

I've seen the Hausers that Berea sell, Schmidt ballpoints, and such. What do you prefer?
Where do you get them?
Did you have to modify the pen or refill to use it?

Thanks for the advice!

Matt

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mick

I buy the authentic Parker Gel refills and offer them to my customers. Of all the parker pens I've sold I've had very little trouble with the provided refill.

Rudy Vey

This is kinda funny, the topic regarding the refills comes up about every two month. My experience, and the one of many others is, that the refills coming with the kits are of very good quality. At least in my case, for the kits I buy from Berea, I can say they are often better than the brand name. Making and selling pens now for over 5 years, I had customers coming back to me, asking where they find the refill that came originally in the pen they bought from me. They had used it up and bought the brand name and they were disappointed. The same happened to me. I also think that the issue is worse with the Cross rather than the Parker refills. I think that every no-name cross-type refill coming with the kits from Berea is much better than the original brand refill. I cannot say this for ther makers kits, I only do Berea ball points.
BTW, their gel refills are quite good, too.

chigdon

The main Parker style pen I turn is the Jr. Gents Ballpoint and it comes with a pretty good refill already. Of course gel ink sells easier. The problem I have had for some reason the actuall Parker brand gel refils occasionally jam in the transmission?! I can't figure this out but the couple of times this has happened it is fixed by replacing the cartridge. Can't figure out why.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Chris,

Probably NOT in the transmission. Look at the dimension of your nib and "bore it out". Gel refills (points) seem to be a little larger than the supplied refill.

chigdon

It does seem to be at the nib but it seems like the spring is getting caught on the tip of the refil and keeps the transmission from working.

bonefish

I get the Parkers at Staples. Yes, they might be a littler more expensive than others, but when I make a pen, I want it to be the best I can do. That means using high quality materials, and the Parker fits in this catagory.

Yes, by using a Parker refill, I have about $2.00 more in the cost of the Pen.

There is an old saying about oats. New oats are expensive. You can buy oats that have been run through the horse for a lot less than you can buy new oats.

A cheap refill that doesn't write smooth and doesn't last very long is possibly the worst advertisment for your pens there is. If you sell a $50.00 pen to someone and it doesn't write as good as a $1.00 Wall-Mart pen, I doubt the customer will ever come back for another purchase.

Bonefish

redfishsc

Bonefish, do I ever agree with you. I read a lot of the posts above of people that say they never have a problem with the included refills, I wonder if the actual situation is "they never hear a complaint". In cabinetry, we have customers that will occasionally have an issue but never mention it and let it "slide" meanwhile blackballing us for producing inferior quality stuff (which I assure you we DONT).

Just yesterday I had to pitch probably the FIFTH parker refill out of the 30 or so I've turned-- junk included with the kit. All of them were Woodcraft/Berea or PSI kits, I can't say anything of CSUSA kits, haven't turned a CSUSA parker kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom