You know your hobby is an obsession

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jkirkb94

You know your hobby is an obsession when......
1. You have just driven through hundreds of miles of beautiful fall follage and....
2. Instead of noticing the beauty, your thoughts have been how you wished you had brought a chainsaw so you could collect some wood for blanks![:I] Kirk :D

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

When I drive throught the country side I don't trees any more, just pens with limbs and leaves.
Do a good (obsessed) turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by jkirkb94
<br />You know your hobby is an obsession when......
1. You have just driven through hundreds of miles of beautiful fall follage and....
2. Instead of noticing the beauty, your thoughts have been how you wished you had brought a chainsaw so you could collect some wood for blanks![:I] Kirk [:D]

low_48

Welcome to the crowd. In may case, it's at least one or two trips a week to the landscape recycling site. My Mom's 1 1/2 car garage is now a one car garage, I have wood under a tarp in her yard, I built a 8'x24' lean-to on the back of my garage and it is full, I had to add an extra post under the beam across the center of the garage, I have 3 piles of burls outside that must weigh 1000lbs total, I have a stack of old cedar beams near the basement door, a stack of soft maple burl sits on top of the cedar, 4 slabs of catalpa rest against the garage door, and just this week a friend asked me if I would like some cutoffs from his daughters father-in-laws ipe deck project. Just guess what I said? OOPs, I forgot, you have to walk sideways through my basement,my wife just has room to get to the front of the dryer and washer, and I would have to get a wide angle lens to get a picture of my shop on this site. I can't get more than 2 feet away from any one spot to shoot a picture. Final comment, I'm going to the wood recycling area tomorrow, there is a huge old hard maple that is covered with blisters the size of my thumb nail. It's hollow in the center, but it should really be something special for us pen guys.

I'm actually considering having an inventory reduction sale in November. Anyone interested in coming to Peoria, IL. Bring your truck!!!! What am I saying? This may take some counseling!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, I feel better already, Rich

I think we should let lots of turners add to this! YOU KNOW TURNING IS AN OBSESSION WHEN . . .

You'd rather make sawdust than clean the house!
You'd rather clean the shop than the house!
You give up Monday night football to turn a pen!

woodwish

YOU KNOW TURNING IS AN OBSESSION WHEN . . .

. . . you realize that you should not drink and turn at the same time, so you pass on the beer!
. . . you stand in the pen row of the office supply store preaching on the evils of plastic pens!
. . . you attend a graveside service of a dear friend and notice the burl on the tree by the grave, and know he would want you to cut it!
. . . you always throw the chainsaw and work gloves in the back of the truck when attending outdoor events (see above)!
. . . you look at a friend's new house about to be finished, and fish all the trim scraps out of the trash pile, while lecturing on the bad habit of throwing out perfectly good 3/4" square walnut scraps!
. . . when traveling out of town you wonder if a midi-lathe meets carry-on luggauge requirements!
. . . you sit in church and start making a mental inventory of pen parts to order online whenever the preacher gets started blabbing on about something from the pulpit! I can pray in the shop and don't have any money to give the church because I am saving for a new lathe anway!

OK, now it's your turn(s)- pun intended!
Ray

Scottydont

I know what you mean. I used to get turned off by knotty twisted wood, not anymore. I just came back from the woodworking show and I had dillusions of grandure after looking at the Logosol. "So many trees so little time".

jkirkb94

1. You and your wife finally have a night together and the kids are out of the house and all you can think of is how many pens you can make tonight.

2. You tell everyone you have a "Woody" and they know you are talking about a pen, not a classic car and not that other thing (you know what I mean!)[;)]

Kirk [8D]

C_Ludwigsen

... when leaving the house for work, you remember your box of pen blanks and samples but forget your laptop... and you work in a computer programming group.

... when a lady asks you if you became a woodturner because of your tree trimming business or became a tree trimmer because of your woodturning... (my wife asked a guy this yesterday [;)]

melogic

I really think we should take some of these obsession things and make up shirts, coffee mugs or whatever, with the IAP logo on them as well. My wife and I just laughed at all of these, but especially the ones that hit close to home (most of them).

Travlr7

Originally posted by low_48
<br />

I'm actually considering having an inventory reduction sale in November. Anyone interested in coming to Peoria, IL. Bring your truck!!!! What am I saying? This may take some counseling!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, I feel better already, Rich

Rich....... I'd help you out, but you already know the LOML has told that I can't get any more wood till I get rid of some------- preferably as bowls. They take more wood than pens. So, I guess you're on your own this time.[:I] See ya next month.

Bruce[;)]

Doghouse

You are the only one happy about a land falling hurricane in your area.
You build a Second shed for your wood... then a third... then a kiln.
Your neighbors no longer look at you strange when you answer the garage door.
The garbage men wonder how 2 people can produce 3 heavy barrels twice a week.

jkirkb94

You have so many pens that it takes you a long time to decide which pen you are going to carry in your pocket today. [8D]

.....You carry your case of beauties EVERYWHERE, the doctor's office, bank, post office, cleaners, nursing home and even church!
.....you send emails to everyone in your address book telling them that pens and stoppers make lovely gifts!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom