Are you coughing, having shortness of breath?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Pipes

Originally posted by Ron in Drums PA

Get a good dust collector and one of these

web5511big.jpg

I gotta say I think I would quit turning IF I had to wear one a those !! bad enough with a normal reperaitor now and then ! I have a dust collector and good air movement and thank god so far in 10 yrs NO problems !! [:I]

Considering the alternatives, it's not that bad. I wear one all the time and I even forget I have it on. I can't tell you how many times I go to move my glasses back up because they are slipping down my nose only to bump into the shield.

Here is something else to consider.

Did you know the US government requires that all woods imported into this country are fumagated with Methyl Bromide?

Did you also know that this gas penetrates deeply into the wood and is in the wood dust that you breath in?

Did you know because of it's health risks, the use of Methyl Bromide is outlawed in this country? (talk about a contradiction)

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/mhmi/mmg27.html
Respiratory symptoms are the most likely nonneurologic effects of acute methyl bromide inhalation. Throat irritation, chest pain, and shortness of breath are common. Severe exposures may cause inflammation of the bronchi or lungs and an accumulation of fluid in the lungs, which may be delayed 24 hours or longer after exposure. Death may result from respiratory or cardiovascular failure.

Exposure to certain chemicals can lead to Reactive Airway Dysfunction Syndrome (RADS), a chemically- or irritant-induced type of asthma.

Children may be more vulnerable because of relatively increased minute ventilation per kg and failure to evacuate an area promptly when exposed.

Did you know this chemical accumulates in your system?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodwish

Thanks for the reminder. Even domestic woods with no chemicals can cause a lot of problems. If you don't believe it hang around a crowd of older woodworkers, especially those that have worked in cabinet shops without good DC. All of them seem to have tails about friends with emphasema and other lung diseases. I don't have one of the helment systems like the one in the picture but I ALWAYS wear a good dust mask, good DC, air cleaner, etc. and only turn domestic stuff for the most part.

I use a lot of plywood made oversees for cabinets. If it sits in the shop for a few days, especially after cutting it, my eyes burn when I walk in. I usually have to leave a window open overnight to get rid of it, which is a nuisance here in the humid warm south. I wonder if that is Methyl Bromide escaping?[xx(]

Ron Mc

Ron,
You bring up a good point! I would also like to expand on some of the other products we are exposed to every day. The wood dust is the worst but what about the bushings? We all accidentally sand them at some point. I believe all manufacturers are required to provide MSDS sheets for all products upon request. Has anyone seen an MSDS sheet on the bushings or finishes?

Daniel

Ron,
In my line of work we deal with a bunch of MSDS sheets. in the line of file cabinets full. I don't recall ever asking for one for a solid material like metal, or being required to have one. We do have to have them for all chemicals, powders etc.
we also deal with radioactive materials, lead, mercury, and on and on, where far more than just MSDS sheets are needed.
as far as locating one for the metal in the bushings. you would need to contact the manufacturer. the supplier would know who that is so requesting an MSDS from the supplier should get you where you need to be.

Ron Mc

Daniel,
I understand completely the volume of MSDS sheets that are required. I've been in the building materials business for a long time and MSDS sheets are required for all materials. From screws to ceiling tile and everything in between. Another product that we use constantly that we should have sheets on are the stabilized blanks. There would be MSDS sheets for the chemicals used. This is important to have so that turners know what safety precautions to take.
I'll see about contacting the suppliers to have them provide MSDS sheets for the products that I request. I'd also like to see some spec sheets on bushings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom