You all are killing me!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

sam4msu

I used to be quite content with turning cheap slimline pens with only 2 or 3 differences in design. Well, now I have done a few european kits and am ready to try some rollerball kits with screw on caps. Also I now am not satisfied unless I am doing some sort of segmented design. I do have one question...I was wanting to do a pen for my soon to be daughter in law that has her sorority greek letters in it done in epoxy. If I cut the letters out on the scroll saw and fill them with epoxy while the blank is still square will they come out in a mirror image on the opposite side?? If this is not the best way to do this, please give me something else to spend time in the shop working on. Oh, by the way my wife just LOVES the fact that you all have made this an obsession for me!!!

Thanks for any help you all can offer
Sam in Huntsville, Al.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Sam,
Try laminating two halves together. Scroll-saw through one of the halves (before laminating) to prevent the mirror-image from coming through the other half, or scroll saw through both but invert and/or rotate the "other" half. You can add a decorative accent in between the laminations for more visual interest, and to make it seem like that was the plan all along, rather than resolving the "mirror-image" problem.

JimGo

Oh yeah, or you COULD just send it out for laser engraving. Ken Nelson at http://www.kallenshaanwoods.com only charges a few bucks per pen, and does an excellent job. You can then fill it with colored epoxy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom