Yet another turn between centers question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bjbear76

I've been turning between centers now for awhile and have a question that you experts might be able to help me with. I'll use bushings - either regular or TBC - to turn down close to finished size, then take them off and finish using calipers. My problem is the relatively small space between the blank and the drive center and the live center. I often hit the drive and live center with the skew. What do you guys do to avoid this?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

flyitfast

I try to be more careful and also enjoy that it cleans old dried up CA that gets on the centers!!! ;-) Sorry!!
Actually, maybe a smaller/narrower skew would help. Are you "shaving" the ends with the long tip up or down?
Wish I could help more. Good to hear that you are turning between centers and have found that it is more accurate when also using calipers.
Gordon

Last edited:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
When I take the metal bushings off, I replace them with some homemade delrin bushings to do the final turning, sanding & finishing.

Some folks don't use any bushings at all, but they might have a steadier hand than I do. I find that the delrin bushings help me to keep the tools, sandpaper & finishing material away from the centers.

magpens

I do my TBC turning on a metal-working lathe with the carbide cutting tool mounted securely on the tool post, and so have accurate control. But I still hit the dead center drive and the live center cones sometimes because the gaps between the workpiece and the centers get very small and the material shavings obscure my judgment of distance. I am hoping to buy or make some cones which are more pointed than the normal 60 degree cone centers in order to leave more room between cone and workpiece.

jjjaworski

I rough turn oversize using bushings between centers. I leave whatever is comfortable, usually between 0.07- 0.09 . It is a fast way to turn down any quantity os similar barrels without measuring.

I finish turn between centers using a sharp skew flat on the tool rest as a scraper stopping frequently to measure with digital calipers to match the hardware. I measure that beforehand and make notes as it varies from kit to kit.

Some folks don't like to scrape and prefer using a skew to cut instead. Whatever works is my approach. I do use a diamond hone to keep a sharp edge when doing this and have 2-3 sharp skews on hand when doing this.

bjbear76

I rough turn oversize using bushings between centers. I leave whatever is comfortable, usually between 0.07- 0.09 . It is a fast way to turn down any quantity os similar barrels without measuring.

I finish turn between centers using a sharp skew flat on the tool rest as a scraper stopping frequently to measure with digital calipers to match the hardware. I measure that beforehand and make notes as it varies from kit to kit.

Some folks don't like to scrape and prefer using a skew to cut instead. Whatever works is my approach. I do use a diamond hone to keep a sharp edge when doing this and have 2-3 sharp skews on hand when doing this.

That's pretty much how I've been doing it too. And making sure the skew is sharp is very important. :rolleyes:

jjjaworski

I also use opti-visors to help me see exactly where my tool is and where I am cutting. I have found that to make a world of difference in tool control when sneaking up on a dimension. They also help when I am sanding and buffing.

Top Bottom