yet another question on Tru-Stone

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
While I've been turning Tru-Stone for a while now I ran into something this week and I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue.

I turned a couple new (to me) blanks (Obsidian and Arizona Jade). Got both from Exotics. They drilled well. Tubes installed with epoxy - ends sealed. Turned nicely and finished super. I was real pleased. I assembled the kits. Both were the "Magnetic Graduate" from PSI. The Tru-Stone cracked on both of the kits. Several places but always where a part was pressed into the tube. The pens are unsellable and they don't offer replacement tubes. Grrrrrrrrr!!!

I use a pen press and I do not slam it home (DAMHIKT). Even, constant pressure is the way to go. I've done several of these pens and not had an issue till now.

Thoughts?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rsulli16

hi
try this,
get a reemer, and bevel the inside of the tube before you press. then check and scrape the inside of the tube for any glue that snuck in. then check again.
recently i have seen a few times while i was pressing the parts, what i believe is lacquor on the centerband , endcap or nib acutally peeling off as i press the parts togetegher. so now i swipe those parts with some rough sandpaper or i scrape them with a utility knife as well.
hope this helps
Sulli

alphageek

Former Moderator
Trustone and corian are both materials that don't have much give at all when turned down to the thickness we have in several kits. Just a tiny bit of glue in the tube could cause that issue.

I use a reamer (from reloading equipment) to be 100% sure the inside is cleaned out with most my pens, but am especially careful when using one of those 2 materials.

flyitfast

Try this reamer from Harbor Freight. It will taper the tube ends and allow the parts to slide in easier. The other end the cutters are reversed for cleaning the outside of tubing.
Reamer/Deburring Tool
image_7652.jpg

As Sulli said glue can always be a culprit too.
Hope the problem goes away. Truestone is too attractive.expensive, and with the problems turning to have come apart.
gordon

ALexG

Can you try to save these blanks if the crack is not too long?, like turning down to the tube where the crack is and glue there another contrasting piece of blank and turn back to size

randyrls

Trustone and corian are both materials that don't have much give at all when turned down to the thickness we have in several kits. Just a tiny bit of glue in the tube could cause that issue.

As Dean said Trustone and Corian do not have much give. I sometimes use a transfer punch to expand the last 1/4" of the tube until the fitting is a slip fit in the tube. When finished, put a spot of CA glue on the INSIDE of the tube. Never put the glue on the fitting because you will get squeeze out.

Alternatively, you can chuck the fitting in a collet chuck and file it until it is just a slip fit, then glue as above.

Recently I have had one that had a stress crack in it.

turncrazy43

Ted In Michigan: check out your PSI, extra tubes sets are available for the magnetic graduate pens in sets of (3) item#PKGRAD2TU $2.75. They are also available for all 3 Graduate pen kits.

turncrazy43 - thanks for the update. wasn't able to find/get them before.

alphageek (and others) - thanks for the response. Yes, I am aware the issues glue/epoxy/adhesive can cause when it cures inside a tube. I seal the ends before I install the tube and then ream the tube till it is free of debris prior to turning. Prior to assembly, I've even been taking a Q tip with some light oil on it and swabbing the inside of the tube. I was wondering if this was an issue with the blank, the magnetic Graduate or if it was something else (me).

ALexG - good idea. tried it. didn't work (this time). when I tied to reassemble, it broke again. bummer, eh?

Jim Burr

Banned

I use a reamer (from reloading equipment) to be 100% sure the inside is cleaned out with most my pens, but am especially careful when using one of those 2 materials.

+1 ^^, I had the same problem putting a soapstone barrel on a 30.06 bullet kit from CSUSA. Soapstone has 0% ability to expand. I learned how to say "Mutha Puss Bucket" in 3 languages! I use a counter bore bit on my electric drill and a pass with 220 grit on the inside of the tube before assembly of those kinds of materials.

Top Bottom