Yet Another Decal Thread - BLO?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DurocShark

I'm making 10 pens from pine for an event. I was thinking about using BLO to give the wood some color. I expect to have to adjust for the color when making the decals so they look right, but what about adhesion? Should I turn and BLO the blanks and let them set for a week or so before attempting the decal? Or will it stick ok on "fresh" (24 hour) BLO? Or something else?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chasper

I use 2-3 coats of BLO/CA before applying the decals. The BLO pops the wood color and the CA turns into a hard and oil free surface that the decals adhere to. After applying the decals then put on a few more coats of CA to cover and protect the decals. You should not get any uneven color fade after the decals are applied.

Last edited:

AKBeaver

I do a couple CA coats, then sand/polish through 12K MM. Then I add the decals using Micro-sol to set the decal, then wait 24 hours, then 3-4 CA coats. If you use model or commercial decals, you do want to spray them with the Testor's Decal Fix, or Deft as a buffer between the decal and the CA, if not the CA will dissolve the decal. (Found out the hard way). This also works with BLO/CA as well, but right now I am only using CA as my finish.

Dave

pianomanpj

You might want to consider Myland's sanding sealer. It'll pop the grain, and really help fill the soft, porous wood. Decal over that, and use a decal setting solution to really help it "hug" the pen. That will help avoid silvering under the decal. Then apply your CA/BLO finish.

Last edited:
Top Bottom