And YET Another Beall Collet Convert

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

kenwc

Yesterday I became sick and tired of being sick and tired of the MT type mandrel. Woodchips is now the beneficiary of my frustration as I placed my order for the Beall Collet kit today.

I do expect that clouds will part and angels will sing when I use it.

kenwc

Is there any difference in the Beall "Collets" and those available from 800watt on Ebay? Other than price. Are they machined any differently?

KenV

ER 32 collets are all about the same for non-production use. If you were running a machinist operation all day every day, the difference might be worth the cost. Prediction -- you will love it.

redfishsc

Mine arrive from Woodchips this past thursday just in time to be packed up and forgotten about for a month or two as we pack for moving....move....unpack...recover...and begin new jobs.

Hopefully the angels will take a raincheck until then.

aksarben

Sort of new around here and to pen turning. I have a MT mandrel, how do you replace this with the Beall collet? Do you use it to hold onto the metal bar instead of the MT?

Thanks
Scott

bjackman

Yes, it holds the mandrel shaft in a 1/4 (or 5/16 for the Berea B mandrel) collet. The great thing about this collet chuck system is the almost endless variety of other things you can hold in collets up to 3/4" Bottle stopper mandrels, different pieces of pens, etc. I use mine much more than my scroll chuck.

leatherjunkie

I finally took the plunge and ordered one from Woodchips last week.
Woodchips emailled me about what lathe i have so they can send me the correct one. I know that Woodchips has mailled it out.
Just can't waite for it very well. i am chomping at the bits waiting on it.

TBone

My wife (who is an avid deer hunter) is always telling me that I don't give her any ideas for Christmas (my last suggestion was a new 17" band saw, didn't work). I showed her the Beall chuck and the Eastwood powder coat gun. She said "you're not waiting for Christmas to get those because I want my bullet casing pen before then." Gotta love it. Beall ordered, Eastman about to be.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by TBone
<br />My wife (who is an avid deer hunter) is always telling me that I don't give her any ideas for Christmas (my last suggestion was a new 17" band saw, didn't work). I showed her the Beall chuck and the Eastwood powder coat gun. She said "you're not waiting for Christmas to get those because I want my bullet casing pen before then." Gotta love it. Beall ordered, Eastman about to be.

I don't know what you are waiting for.
I have made and sold a ton of bullet antler pens without the HF PC gun ,The first 20 bullet pens I made were drilled on the lathe with a wooden collet as described on David Reed Smiths site.
Those pens paid for the Beall.
There really isn't any excuse.[:D]

M

Mudder

Originally posted by ctEaglesc
<br />......I have made and sold a ton of bullet antler pens ........

Now just wait a cotton pickin' minute here ole buddy.

A TON of pens? Exactly how many pens are in a ton?

Are we speaking long ton, short ton or metric ton? [}:)]

Tangboy5000

The amount of orders for Beall Chucks has been crazy. We cleaned out Mr. Beall and he had to place another order alot sooner than he expected. We should be getting resupplied today or tomorrow. I love it when suppliers call me to see what the heck is going on.[:D]

Originally posted by Tangboy5000
<br />The amount of orders for Beall Chucks has been crazy. We cleaned out Mr. Beall and he had to place another order alot sooner than he expected. We should be getting resupplied today or tomorrow. I love it when suppliers call me to see what the heck is going on.[:D]

Tell them it is because your site rocks!!! I am <u>very</u> satisfied with the price and service I received from you. [:D]

TBone

I don't know what you are waiting for.
I have made and sold a ton of bullet antler pens without the HF PC gun ,The first 20 bullet pens I made were drilled on the lathe with a wooden collet as described on David Reed Smiths site.
Those pens paid for the Beall.
There really isn't any excuse.[:D]

Eagle..shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Don't give away my secret.
I really don't need the Beall to drill the casing, just was giving a wish list and possible uses for the items. Heck a center punch and a tap with the hammer and you have a pilot hole. I do want the PC gun first so that I can put a clear coat on it. A friend built a stand for us and I want to give him one. If you have a way to do that without PC, point me to it [:D]

txcwboy

Well my Beall just got used for the first time !SWEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTT sooo smooth ! I used my scraper and the pen was smooth as can be, not like the old days of chatter! I got the "A" mandrel, is is long enough to do all the pens in double configuration ? or you have to do it in 2 pieces ?It BARELY fit my slim pen in double. Its REAL nice though there fellahs ! [:p]

Dave

Tangboy5000

I don't think my mass e-mail worked. If you ordered a Beall Chuck from us in the last week it's going out today. The shipment to Mr. Beall was late, and so our shipment was late.

lwalden

I love the beall chuck I have- been using it for 6 months, now. While I've had significant improvement, I have gone through three different rods so far- and I know, I'm likely overtightening either the knurled knob or the tailstock. That aside, I still have a little more chatter when trying to turn something really hard, like the tru-stone blanks. I've been told that by using "D" drill rod, in place of the standard mandrel rod, most of that should go away. Does anyone have a good source for "after market" mandrel rods, made from "D" drill stock and already threaded and dimpled for the 60 degree live center in the tail stock? And if not, is there enough interest in getting some of these made up that if we grouped together, we might get someone like Paul Huffman or one of our other machinist pen turners to see it would be worth their while? I can easily justify ordering 5- 2 regular length, 2 slightly longer in order to turn either two sierras or two lower barrels at the same time, as well as a shorter one for bottlestoppers (T-style) and single sierra/patriot pen kits.

Originally posted by lwalden
<br />I love the beall chuck I have- been using it for 6 months, now. While I've had significant improvement, I have gone through three different rods so far- and I know, I'm likely overtightening either the knurled knob or the tailstock. That aside, I still have a little more chatter when trying to turn something really hard, like the tru-stone blanks. I've been told that by using "D" drill rod, in place of the standard mandrel rod, most of that should go away. Does anyone have a good source for "after market" mandrel rods, made from "D" drill stock and already threaded and dimpled for the 60 degree live center in the tail stock? And if not, is there enough interest in getting some of these made up that if we grouped together, we might get someone like Paul Huffman or one of our other machinist pen turners to see it would be worth their while? I can easily justify ordering 5- 2 regular length, 2 slightly longer in order to turn either two sierras or two lower barrels at the same time, as well as a shorter one for bottlestoppers (T-style) and single sierra/patriot pen kits.

I would be interested.

kenwc

I order Drill rod from McMaster Carr. They have all sizes.

I've seen two places where you can also buy a "live" Jacobs chuck for the tailstock. Why could one not use the Beall Collett, drill rod and this revolving tailstock chuck???? I "think" I saw on here where someone is doing that now. It would eliminate the need to have the DR threaded and dimpled.

lwalden

I would think you would still want it threaded, in order to have more control over tightening the bushings/blanks down. From what you suggested, I'm picturing you would be using the tailstock itself to snug the bushings/blanks up against the headstock, and then tighten the jacobs chuck to hold it in place?
Originally posted by kenwc
<br />I order Drill rod from McMaster Carr. They have all sizes.

I've seen two places where you can also buy a "live" Jacobs chuck for the tailstock. Why could one not use the Beall Collett, drill rod and this revolving tailstock chuck???? I "think" I saw on here where someone is doing that now. It would eliminate the need to have the DR threaded and dimpled.

kenwc

My intial thought was to put the mandrel washer on against the tail end bushing and run the chuck jaws right up to it and tighten the chuck. Then lock the tailstock down and tighten the chuck just enough to snug the blanks so as to not turn on the rod.

Originally posted by lwalden
<br />I would think you would still want it threaded, in order to have more control over tightening the bushings/blanks down. From what you suggested, I'm picturing you would be using the tailstock itself to snug the bushings/blanks up against the headstock, and then tighten the jacobs chuck to hold it in place?
<br />I order Drill rod from McMaster Carr. They have all sizes.

txcwboy

Kenwc, Ive had it a while but just moved so my shop isnt really set up yet. OK back to MY QUESTION [:D] Can yu turn a double pens from the "A" mandrel ? Like Euros or Statesman ? Or better yet maybe Titanium rod.???

Dave

TBone

<br />Just make it and polish it.
Does you wife PC her shells?

I just thought that the shells would tarnish from being handled. Wife doesn't PC or make pens. But I know from handling my shells for hunting that the oils from hands will tarnish the brass. Seems like buffing would be an ongoing issue. Am I wrong?

lwalden

sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread[:I]- yes, you can still turn both barrels, upper and lower, at the same time for cigars, statesman, gents, emperors, etc. If it seems like you can't, check and see how far into the collet you have inserted the rod...it might be in further than needed.
Originally posted by txcwboy
<br />Kenwc, Ive had it a while but just moved so my shop isnt really set up yet. OK back to MY QUESTION [:D] Can yu turn a double pens from the "A" mandrel ? Like Euros or Statesman ? Or better yet maybe Titanium rod.???

Dave

Charles

Ok, guys guess I am old school. What does the beall collett do thats so great? Anyone got a picture? Been turning long time and always use MT mandrels.

kenwc

Originally posted by Charles
<br />Ok, guys guess I am old school. What does the beall collett do thats so great? Anyone got a picture? Been turning long time and always use MT mandrels.

It's a chuck that screws into your headstock instead of inserting a morst taper. Inside it is the collet that has several (many more than pen mandrel) jaws that compress as you tighten the chuck. It's supposed to hold the mandrel more firmly, evenly and no wobble. Here is a link to a picture of the set.

http://www.woodchipshome.com/mm5/me...WC&Product_Code=BEALLCCKIT&Category_Code=GRBU

txcwboy

My "A" rod mandrel has a built in "stop" on it.So I can only turn a single gents. I tried it today.I checked Bear Tooth site and its either has a stop on it or its doulbe threaded. Charles, its really made a difference in the precision of the turnings for me. I used got to get SOME chatter and its all gone ! I have .0015 TRO at the chuck now and about .oo5 on the mandrel.Its like using a metal lathe to make your pens [;)]

Dave

KenV

That stop on the precision mandrels can be pressed off pretty easily. Looks like a couple of dimples underneath the steel ring.

kenwc

I'm getting just a "wee bit" worried about the collets I ordered on ebay from 800Watt. I paid for them on the 22nd. And after two emails to him with no response I have not received them. Has anyone else that has ordered from him experienced this delay and no response to emails?

bjackman

yes, yes, and yes. [:eek:)]
Ordered a set of collets from him. Expect NO, NONE, ZERO, ZIP, NADA communication from him. Also, don't expect a speedy shipping time. You should feel quite safe/confident the items WILL arrive.......eventually, but don't risk holding your breath. I think this is fairly common level of service given to all. [V] But at least his prices are good........if you don't need the stuff tomorrow. [:)]

TBone

<br />I'm getting just a "wee bit" worried about the collets I ordered on ebay from 800Watt. I paid for them on the 22nd. And after two emails to him with no response I have not received them. Has anyone else that has ordered from him experienced this delay and no response to emails?

I'm not happy but I am relieved. I bought a set on the 19th, paid on 20th and haven't received them. I've sent two emails also. I don't mind the slow shipping if I at least get a response to my email [V]

What I don't understand is all of the reviews that say "good communication and fast shipping". [?]

Oh well, my Beall chuck hasn't arrived from Woodchips either so I'm not really upset, just want some reassurance I didn't get ripped off and at least bjackman provided some hope.

kenwc, I'll let you know when I receive them. I'd appreciate if you'd reciprocate. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom