Is this Yellowheart or Fustic or what?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

redfishsc

I ran across some pallet dunnage at a local flooring distributor (cha-ching!) that was golden-brown on the outside but I could see the bright yellow spots on it where it had been dinged and such. I knew I found something interesting.

Slopped it on the jointer to reveal a wonderful lemon-yellow color.

Here is a pic of a cigar I turned with it. I looked at some yellowheart at Woodcraft recently and half of the stuff looked like what I had, half didn't. And I've looked at pics of Fustic on the net that look similar to what I have.

The grain is very open, like american ash and red/white oak. Not very hard, kinda like maple.

I wish I had a pic of the unfinished board stock I milled out of it to show. Lol, kinda hit the jackpot, I found three 2X2X48 sticks of it, gave one to a friend who makes wooden toy machines (bulldozers and trucks and stuff), cut one into jumbo pen blanks and left the other whole for the moment.

yellhrt_blkti_cigar.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

53Jim

I don't know if this means anything, but today I was in a Rockler store and picked up a chunk of "lemon wood". I also picked up some Osage Orange. Both woods are very yellow. I haven't cut into the lemon wood yet, maybe tommorrow. I'll try to remember to take some pictures to see how they compare to what you've got.

Good luck in your search.
Jim

redfishsc

Thanks Jim. Now I got to add "lemon wood" to the list[B)]. Whatever it is, it's pretty stuff.

I'm 100% certain it's not Osage, as I made this osage pen here on the same day. The "mystery wood" is a lot more open grained than osage.
osage_blkti_cigar.JPG

mrplace

It looks kinda like some Yellow Kura I have. I dont think it is lemon wood, the grain does not look course enough. Lemon wood would be a really good find though.

redfishsc

mrplace, if you look at the gloss reflection around the cap/clip area, you'll notice it's pretty coarse grained.

Anyone have a pic of lemonwood on a pen?

cozee

Looks kinda like some Hedge I had. At least I was told it was Hedge. The piece I was given was a golden-toasted brown but the inside was yellow., but not a lemony yellow.

20069831649_HEDGE.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom