Yellow Heart

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CharlesSharp

I turned a couple of pens out of Yellow Heart a few weeks back and finished them with Blo/CA. They have since turned brown.
What can I do next time to keep them yellow?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Unless one of these pro's can help you , you might try a sealer or CA before the BLO . Don't know which you put on first , but I'm just thinking the if you did put the oil on before the CA , it would have darkened the wood . Just a suggestion & trying to help . Good luck

Paul Downes

I am not familiar with yellowheart but oasge orange will turn (machine)to a nice yellow color and then oxidize to a brown. I think ultraviolet light is the culprit in that case. I have heard that a uv resistant finish will retard the oxidation process. It is interesting that purpleheart will look almost brown after BLO/CA finishing and then turn back to a rich purple with sunlight exposure. Ain't wood fun!!

Tom McMillan

The yellowheart wood I've had has stayed yellow. I use CA glue as a finish, but even in it's raw state I've had it sitting for a couple of years and it hasn't turned brown.

However, I do have some I think it's called Argentine Mara wood that looks a lot like yellowheart that turns brown. I haven't used any of it for quite awhile so I'm not sure if the CA would seal it or not.

arioux

Hi,

I,ve worked with yellowhart for years and still have to see it change to brown or even fading. As said by Paul, osage orange could oxyde. Mabe a photo of your wood can help us or i would check with the suppier of the wood.

Alfred

toolcrazy

I have a bunch of Yellow Heart in my pen blank drawer and none of it has turned brown. I tend to agree, you may not have yellow heart.

Top Bottom