Yay or nay

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

My first experience with burl. Is the void a character mark or flaw. Fix it or forget
It? I might remove the hardware, shorten the blank for a mini bolt action pen or I can just leave it alone.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 266
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

whegge

I would leave it, it is a character trait. I would fill it though with thick CA. Don't really want to leave a hole that can collect other junk or even get caught on something and break the burl.

Wes

WriteON

I would leave it, it is a character trait. I would fill it though with thick CA. Don't really want to leave a hole that can collect other junk or even get caught on something and break the burl.

Wes

leave it, but keep it.

I like the way you think. The other (self) complaint would be I think that wood would go better with brass or copper instead of satin.

magpens

I think that wood goes fine with satin. I would leave it, but use a toothpick to put dobs of medium CA in to fill up the void. It will take a while, but you should be able to fill it up and lightly sand off the raw edges of the CA.

WriteON

I whimped. The void felt like a door ding on my car. It bothered me so I bothered it back. Next time I'll repair it before assembling. Thanks for your replies..... But it did remain a bullet.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:

mecompco

After the fact, but if you'd filled it before finishing and put the clip over it, I think it might have been fine. Burl seems like the Briar I've been working with, which is (in)famous for having voids, rocks, etc. hidden inside (which is why perfect tobacco pipes are a rarity--the voids get filled or the pipe gets "rusticated" or blasted).

Regards,
Michael

CREID

My first experience with burl. Is the void a character mark or flaw. Fix it or forget
It? I might remove the hardware, shorten the blank for a mini bolt action pen or I can just leave it alone.
I made a pen once with a stabilized burl that had a bunch of voids, I left them and for finish I just micro meshed to 12,000 and left it that way. Wish I hadn't lost that pen. I think the voids give great character.
Curt

WriteON

I made a pen once with a stabilized burl that had a bunch of voids, I left them and for finish I just micro meshed to 12,000 and left it that way. Wish I hadn't lost that pen. I think the voids give great character.
Curt

I reluctantly modified the piece. If it had more voids I might have appreciated it more. The single one looked unbalanced if that makes any sense. I would not sell or give it away they way it was. It did serve as a learning experience.

Tom T

When I find them I leave them. Have one with a knot in it. Looks cool. Good news is, it's your pen so what you do is correct. It's nice being right sometimes.

Top Bottom