YABADABADOO. My Lathe Arrived Today

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

William Young

Just got delivery of my new Jet Mini 1014 lathe and I must say I am pleasantly surprised with it. I had no idea that it would be such a solid well built little lathe. It is very smooth and quiet yet packs a lot of power for the size of it. And it was all assembled and set up and ready for plug and play.:) First thing I tried was bringing the centres together to check alignment and they are dead on.
Unfortunately my mandrel was out of stock where I got my start up order of supplies so I ordered it eleswhere. Which means I can't try making my first pen until that arrives friday or next monday.
But I did try out my lathe by turning a goblet that looks like an egg cup for an ostrich egg :D and the little lathe performed beautifully and changing speeds was a snap.
Thanks to the ones here that gave that make and model a good recommendation.

Getting there, .. little by little. One of these days I will have all my parts and pieces together so I can make my first pen.
W.Y.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tipusnr

A goblet, I gotta try that! Must be someway to make a pen out of that!!

Seriously, I'm happy you like your new lathe. Confidence in your equipment goes a LONG way in penturning.

Like everyone else, I am avidly awaiting a picture of your first pen!!

Hey Bill, let's see the goblet. You are so brave! I haven't tried anything but bottle stoppers and pens yet. I'm sure you will love that little toy as much as I do mine. Did you get that centering jig. I wish I would have gotten it when I first started. It sure works great in getting the hope in the center of the blanks no matter how small they are. It also works with the mill that squared the ends off. Anyway have fun. and show us some pictures!

William Young

Hi Bev;
No .. I havn't got the centring jig yet but it looked pretty nifty on the DVD I got. I'm going to try my luck with drilling them first.

You want to see my ostrich egg eggcup/goblet " OHMYGOSH.! ! . I took the lathe out of the box and plugged it in and checked that it worked. Then I screwed a hunk of old cedar on the faceplate and turned this monstrosity. It has no finish on it and isn't going to have and I was going to chuck it into the designer firewood box because it was just a practice piece to try out the new lathe but my wife claimed it and said it will make a nice little candy dish.
W.Y.

Goblet.jpg

However, this is not my first attempt at turning. Back a few years ago I turned a few things when I had a full size lathe but it wasn't near as much fun as with this lathe. You can see those attempts by going to my site and checking towards the bottom of the miscellaneous album.
http://www.picturetrail.com/willyswoodcrafting
After I get a few pens and other things made I will make a new "Turning" album in my site and put past and present attempts of turning into it.

Kurt Aebi

Great Job, Bill,

The Jet will do you very well for quite a while. th eother nice thing about mini lathes is that if you want to use your bench, you just move the lathe. Nice Goblet, can't wait to see what you do with the pens. My next project will be making a goose call.

melogic

Bill,
Great job. I really like the Jet also. The class on pen turning at Woodcraft, we used that lathe. I fell in love with it. I too have a large Craftsman lathe but really love the Jet mini lathe. Again, the bowl/candy dish, looks great. Can't wait to see some pens from you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom