xmas gift pens-suggestions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
hello folks

seeing as this is my first year pen turning and first christmas i would like to make some special pens for my family and give them to them as xmas presents-
I have 3 siblings, my mum & dad,my brother and sister inlaw and mum & dad inlaw (phew this could get expensive!!!)

i was wondering about making a set of his and her pens but which pens?

I have never turned a majestic but was wondering about a normal full size majestic and majestic junior? would they make a good his and her pair?

any other suggestions please

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldubia

The Gentleman and Jr Gent or Statesman and Jr Statesman are good bets as well. I have made sets of both of these and gotten rave remarks for them.

What ever you make it will most likely be well received and appreciated.

Larry

Jim Smith

I think you'll get some terrific ideas from the group, but my immediate suggestion is that you may find the Majestic to be a very large pen. I made Irish Bog Oak pen on a Majestic kit for our pastor. It was so large that I jokingly told him that it can double as a scepter if he wants and that I used a very special ink that only writes sermons that are 7 minutes or less. Evidently he's not using it to write his sermons.

Bottom line, the Majectic is a very nice kit but go with the Jr. IMHO.

Jim Smith

Lordnyax

I am in the same boat as the OP (first year turning - wanna make gifts for family). I'll be very interested to see the ideas that people contribute.

workinforwood

Exotic Blanks...they have pine cone blanks at good prices and some of them might even be cast with christmas like colors. You can't ever go wrong with cast pinecones..they spin easy and make excellent conversation pieces....not to mention, what's Christmas without pine cones?

Thank you for all o fyour suggestions

i suppose i was trying to cut down on the arguments by making everyone the same pen pairs- so what i really need an expensive looking (but cheap to buy!!!) pair of pens with a pen for the man and a pen for a lady

keithlong

I make pens as gifts and I use wallstreet IIs, I have found that women like the larger size, especially if they have problems with carpal tunnel.

Lenny

Instead of a big pen and it's jr. how about sticking to one kit, say a jr. Gent II, and varying the blank/plating to suit the recipient?
Exotics has several platings now. I prefer the Blk.Titanium or Rhodium myself. You'll have to do a little investigating to find out what your family prefers. :)

seamus7227

or even the navigators or jr gents I version, those are just a little smaller. maybe more desirable. You should definitely do your homework and find out what they all like, but as stated earlier, they will like whatever you make for them, its the thought that counts most of all!

bad

I sell my pens at the gift shop in the downtown museum. By far my best sellers are these:
http://www.woodpenpro.com/pen_kits/0002_pacifica_petroglyph_2-tone.html
http://www.woodpenpro.com/pen_kits/0004_tapa_pacifica_2-tone.html
http://www.woodpenpro.com/pen_kits/0024_pacifica_fisher_2-tone.html
I've found these ones to be a little nicer than the same pens in the 14K gold. I think that they're a slightly lower end pen that the ones you mentioned but as you indicated, it could get expensive with extended family.

oneula

women seem to like pens with out clips and seem to like the bling like those with the inset crystals. I think for women the diva, and magnetic necklace pen from PSI and the Venus from CUSA will catch alot of eyes if you use fancy swirled acrylic/poly bodies like those from PSI, Exotic Blanks or Bear Craft Woods. Tru-stone blanks will catch alot of womens eyes as well.

Guys seem to like the bigger pens, exotic wood bodies like burls or the new metal blanks. I think they also like anything exotic like snake skin, horn or the scroll saw designs.

In the end it seems that most folks want something they can use everyday and show off to others versus having a special trophy piece that they have to take special care of.

I did a bunch of special pens this year as thank you gifts and was surprised to see folks choosing the Polaris/Patriot sized pens over the larger more fancier designed pens (like the kits BAD just posted with exotic curly koa, mango, milo and sandalwood) just because it fit in their shirt pocket, portfolio or purse. It was weird seeing some one turn down an exotic curly koa petroglyph 2-tone for a simple plastic polaris/patriotic style pen.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

The kit you choose is your choice but if you want to make a family pen then do a family portrait and encase in resin or do a decal. Would make for a pretty nice gift.

bad

One other suggestion. If it's for a gift, make sure you get a nice gift box for it. It's the little finishing details that will give the gift that extra zing. You should be able to find the gift boxes at most of the sites that sell the pen kits.

JohnU

I make pens every year for Christmas stockings at the family gathering. The first year it was cigar style pens with assorted resins. They really liked the blanks I got from Dawn at exotics. Once it was amboyna burl assorted kits types and euro catalpa burl pens. Last year they got feather diplomats. This year it will be Bruce's Franklin blanks on diomats (Sierra style kits). Everyone (men and women) seems to like the Sierra style size pens being a medium size in diameter. Whatever you do, I'm sure they will love it.

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
One fundamental question is, "Are the pens themselves to be Christmas themed?"

It sort of helps to ask oneself a series of questions like this to narrow the playing field a bit.

You had a good idea on using a single kit style for them all, this allows you to make a 2010 signature series pen. The basing idea being, common kit, common blank, common but slightly novel profile. You can of course make a special profile for someone with special needs like arthritis.

Rick_G

I would suggest take a look at what they are using now. I made a cigar for my father a couple years ago and a slim for his wife. He preferred the slim, the cigar felt to big in his hands, although he did like the sierra. You can make a great pen but if they are not comfortable using it, it will sit in a desk drawer and never see the light of day. Also spend the extra couple bucks and get the better quality platings. Nothing worse than going to visit a year later and seeing the pen with the plating worn off in spots and getting that dissapointed look.

Top Bottom