XIAMEN RI-ZHENG Have you used their kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazyBear

I realise that this company has been discussed before but I would like to know how those who bought kits from them got on with the kits. What was the quality like and how have they stood up against the other kits that are available to you. I would also be interested in how the shipping costs and tax affected their final price in UK.

THey now do paypal and appear to have a fair selection of kits.including bottle stoppers.

Anyone wants an updated price list let me know and I will email it to you

Gary Max

After spending 30 seconds giving great thought to your post.
The only thing that comes to mind is---Do you see them here or are you just trying to drum up sales for them????

CrazyBear

Originally posted by Gary Max
<br />After spending 30 seconds giving great thought to your post.
The only thing that comes to mind is---Do you see them here or are you just trying to drum up sales for them????

A bit of an aggressive answer to a simple question there garry

Considering that I am UK based and have no connection with the company I am not trying to drum up business for them. I read the other posts on the subject and the comments were mainly about the payment type and shipping costs. No comments on how the kits actually turned out.

Several members stated that they 'had' bought from them so I was wondering how the kits turned out when they got them

I am paying $16 for 5 slimlines in this country they are offering slimlines at $4 for 5 I felt they were worth a look.

The other posts refered indicated that only a wire transfer was available. This has been updated to include paypal and their price list is not available on the website. That is why I offered that information,

now back to the point

how did you find the kits

PenPal

Crazy Bear,
Ordered Monday delivered to my door next Monday The kits are fine the brass needs a slight easing with a taper reamer,some of the coatings are incomplete inside the clips,great choice of lovely people to deal with,my contact Josie by phone,etc.The need to ease the fit cause the coatings build on the fit area.Aussie dollar at 92 cents USA,the deal in USA Dollars,freight,exchange favourable,do the maths.
Peter

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
No relevance here, Bear. I use so few kits compared to many here that it simply wasn't worth looking into for me. I can certainly understand why you might desire to do so given the prices and options in the UK.

wood-of-1kind

I have received samples from them and they are basically PSI cloned kits. Very good value relative to cost and they have held up fine as low end kits go. Fit and finish are acceptable. I 'shared' some of the samples with two IAP members here and the reply was favourable from the first member. The second member has not provided an input one way or another.

I give this supplier a passing grade but where I was disappointed was with the exhorbitant shipping costs from China to Canada. My bill with DHL courier was close to $120 for a packet that weighed approximately 2 lbs.

-Peter-[:)]

alparent

Just looked at their site. Since they manufacture their own kits, I suspect that many of the kits we buy from other suppliers might even come from them! (They just crank the price up a bit so we don't feel like we are buying cheap stuff) The only thing I noticed is that they don't have Titanium or Platinum plating (or maybe I just missed that?) If shipping is a killer you could always do a group buy for turners in your region or you could become the first serious supplier in the UK ....... imagine that!

I know this doesn't help you much, since I didn't actually buy from them.[:I]

Is it that big of a pain for you guys in the UK to buy stuff from the US suppliers?

Rifleman1776

Another member here sent me a Cigar kit to try. The bushings were not compatible with those from another supplier. The transmission was extra sticky, I should have cleaned but didn't. As a result my fit isn't acceptable and the tranny doesn't work properly. But, with their bushings and experience with their kits, they might be OK for the money. I can't really speak to the quality of the plating, mine is a Rhodium and I use it daily as a desk pen. So far, so good.
BTW, Gary, I thought your response was unnecessarily harsh also.

CrazyBear

Originally posted by alparent
<br />

Is it that big of a pain for you guys in the UK to buy stuff from the US suppliers?

I believe it was Mark Ligget from Scotland who stated on another thread that the company made higher end pens but they were not allowed to sell them to him. I wonder if this was because they make them exclusivly for CSUSA or some other company. <b>If </b>this was the case then this company are supplying the kits that you buy from woodcraft, CSUSA or wherever at inflated prices. So why pay the middleman his cut.

I am only trying to find out if the kits are worth the hastle of buying direct at their prices

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
I'm just wondering if you would get into customs and duty troubles if you buy a lot of kits from them - enough to get 'on the radar' by customs...something to think about when contemplating a group buy. Especially for us Canucks, whose customs service is entirely devoted to finding taxable income for Canada...

Is there any reason why you can't buy from WoodnWhimsies or Woodturningz? I know woodnwhimsies price is about a buck-fifty for a slimline, and they do ship internationally, as I've received a few packages here in Canada.

CrazyBear

In our neck of the woods customs and duty don't come into it until the value hits $72

I don't know what happens when you trigger that value

As I said I am only looking at the possibilities here and just wanted to find out how the kits actually turned out by guys who used them

wood-of-1kind

Originally posted by CrazyBear
<br />
the company made higher end pens but they were not allowed to sell them to him. I wonder if this was because they make them exclusivly for CSUSA or some other company. /quote]

This company does NOT manufacture these kits. They are merely another middleman. My partner recently visited them during the summer and saw first hand their 'office' without a manufacturing facility.

CrazyBear

Hi Peter

Did they state that they were only a wholesaler or was that your partners impression because they only saw an office.

It still comes down to the question of the quality of the kits.

Wholesaler or manufacturer they can stilll supply me with kits at quarter the cost that I can source them in this country.

so still loking for others that have used these kits to give their viewpoint

Ligget

Hugh if you want PSI kits why not buy from PSI sellers in the UK?

There are quite a few, the best one I use is The Pen Kit Company, they will be in the links section of the forum here.

For what it`s worth I do not mind buying penturning stuff from America, if that is where the quality is thats where you buy from.

I paid duty on a $60 order before so your figure may be wrong.

wood-of-1kind

<br />Hi Peter

Did they state that they were only a wholesaler or was that your partners impression because they only saw an office.

They seem to give the impression that they are a manufacturer when in fact they're not. Bottom line as I previously stated, they're a good value for anyone's currency as 'loonie' as it sounds[:eek:)]

wood-of-1kind

Originally posted by maxwell_smart007
<br />They say on their website that they can provide samples...why don't you get the samples, and post pictures and anecdotal observations of what you discover?

They will gladly provide 'samples' but be aware of the high shipping costs from the courier company that you must provide them to ship. Caveat emptor.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I have used WoodNWhimsies - about 150 kits, so far.

They are ok. Some of the transmissions ain't great. The copper clips can break kind of easily, but they CERTAINLY have lived up to MY EXPECTATIONS!! They send you a few extra "spare parts kits" with my order (now that is 50 or more pens, so this MAY not apply to you). They also offer the cross transmissions in a 10 pack, so when I get a "dog", I simply put in a different one. Platings seem as good as any I have used - but I have not had problems with ANY platings - even my very early 24kt PSI kits have never "come back to bite me".

Recently, I have ordered and started making their Cigar pens, as well. So, in short, they are good enough for ME - your mileage may depend on YOU!

gerryr

Once again, there seems to be an assumption that all of our suppliers are getting their kits from China. I don't know about Berea or PSI, but the high end kits from CSUSA(Gents. Statesman, Juniors, Havanas too) come in a bag that is clearly marked "Dayacom Taiwan." As much as the Chinese like to think of Taiwan as part of China, there is a difference.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Gerry,

You are correct, but I believe ONE of the new high end nibs was stamped "Dayacom" and "Germany" (I could be wrong, but fairly certain I saw this.) Do you know of a Dayacom plant in Germany?? I sure don't.

Moral: Don't believe EVERYTHING you read.

Not that it matters WHERE it's made, I'm more concerned with HOW it's made.

Rudy Vey

Originally posted by gerryr
<br />Once again, there seems to be an assumption that all of our suppliers are getting their kits from China. I don't know about Berea or PSI, but the high end kits from CSUSA(Gents. Statesman, Juniors, Havanas too) come in a bag that is clearly marked "Dayacom Taiwan." As much as the Chinese like to think of Taiwan as part of China, there is a difference.
Berea has their own production in Taiwan.

g.alemy0218

Crazy Bear

I have ordered from them in the past and will do again in the near future. Yes they are just like the PSI kits, I have had no trouble with the bushings fitting. My last order was for 40 pen kits 4 different styles, pen mill kit, 10 bottle stoppers and 15 acrylic blanks, my total was around 195.00 shipped to my door, I ordered them on Thursday night and they were delivered to me on Tuesday.

Yes the shipping is a little high, but for the amount and if you do the math you are still coming out way ahead

Originally posted by penmaker
I have ordered from them in the past and will do again in the near future. Yes they are just like the PSI kits, I have had no trouble with the bushings fitting. My last order was for 40 pen kits 4 different styles, pen mill kit, 10 bottle stoppers and 15 acrylic blanks, my total was around 195.00 shipped to my door, I ordered them on Thursday night and they were delivered to me on Tuesday.

Yes the shipping is a little high, but for the amount and if you do the math you are still coming out way ahead

Just sos I can do the math, what style pen kits were they, price and Qty break down? What was the bottle stopper style? What was the size/color of the blanks?

bitshird

I have to say that woodnwhimsies has been great to me, theur prices aren't much different than goins direct to Rizheng, and the shipping is alot less, they dont offer all the pretty color platings just the usual stuff,although they do say it's Ti. I believe it's just gun metal, but the plating seems to hold up so far (about 3 months) done about 40 of their kits which are Rizheng, done euros,cigars and slimlines, this time I have over a hundered pieces ordered including some Acrylic blanks.
Still a problem with cost for UK or Canada I'll bet, but can't be as bad as DHL.
and under normal conditions they ship quickly even small 20.00 - 30.00 orders.
I hate to whip a dead horse but the only complaint with the stuff is the cross refills suck, So I'm ordering refills from Berea I just wish they weren't out of blue.
Ken Ferrell

GaryMGg

Hugh asked:
... I would like to know how those who bought kits from them got on with the kits. What was the quality like and how have they stood up against the other kits that are available to you....

I can't address UK Vat but I can address these parts of your questions.

I'm the IAP member who sent Frank (Rifleman1776) the Cigar kit.
That kit was picked at random from my shipment and it's the only cigar kit problem I've heard of. I've made around 20 of the cigar kits so far and had 0 (Zero) problems except for a refill that leaked and rendered the kit useless.
The center band decorative ring is a tad snug but not so bad to be a real issue. WoodenPenPro's Cigar kit rings were as tight if not tighter. I drilled a 3/8" hole in a piece of maple scrap and I use that to press the ring on the CB. No big deal.

With all the issues folks have with inexpensive platings not lasting, I've stuck with chrome platings on most of what I ordered. I ordered slims, cigar kits and some acrylics from Rizheng.

Their service has been excellent.
Door-to-door delivery from when I sent payment til the product arrived was four days.
Buying "samples" from Rizheng is NOT an economically reasonable option for a new customer -- the freight is a killer for just a few items.

I ordered enough kits so that when freight was included my savings was 38% compared to
what I could buy them for at the best prices available in the US. Rizheng included some free samples of kits I didn't order in the shipment and 1 of each pen kit I ordered to cover potential defects. And, they stated I should keep an accurate record of defects and they'll replace them in my next order. Given the cost to ship parts, that's very reasonable.

Most of the kits I ordered were chrome; I got some gunmetal and also black enamel.
I've had a problem with the black enamel slimlines; the enamel was too heavy causing assembly issues. We'll deal with it on my next order.

I've asked about rhodium, platinum, and titanium and they aren't offering those yet.
Also at this time, Rizheng does not offer kits to match the upper end CSUSA or Berea kits.

None of the above is a knock against any of our other vendors. Wood'N'Whimsies has been mentioned many times in this thread. They're great to deal with; their service and pricing is excellent. Having said that, if your order is large enough -- even with the relatively high cost of shipping -- the savings by ordering from Rizheng can be substantial. From what I can tell, it's the same kits and the same acrylics as other vendors reselling Mainland-Chinese made kits.

You have to weight your opportunity costs: Do you require service on one or two pieces at a time? Can you afford to invest in a fairly large inventory? Do you want to track your defects over time? Is the savings worth it to you? Will the additional profit be worth your investment? Other things that may affect your personal decision....?

Good luck with your decision-taking. [:D][;)]

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
I ordered 100 acrylic blanks from them, and received a sample kit of the pen kits they provide. They also threw in a sample pack of the acrylics that I did not buy, just so I could see them. They were excellent to deal with (via email), they delivered EXACTLY what was promised, the shipping was prompt, and overall hassle free. The kits were as Ed and Gary have described. I have had one of the slimlines now for about 6 months in heavy use, and no problems with the platings. I also had a center band in the Cigar that was a little snug, but nothing like some of the other kits I have purchased. The brass came a little flared at the end, so I am not sure how they are cutting them, but it needed a little tweaking in one or two kits. The brass was a little discolored as well, but the plating on the kits were all fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom