Wrong Bushing Placement

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dgelnett

I was not paying attention when I made 2 cigar pens and placed the bushings for the top on the bottom longer tube and the bottom bushings on the top shorter tube. When I picked the finish, polished sections up to put together is when I knew what I had done. (I think the finish looks great by the way)
Any ideas as to what I can do with the incorrect sized tubes.

Maybe mount them above the lathe to remind me to check just one more time.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kovalcik

I did that with a cigar pencil. It went together fine with the tubes swapped, it just shifts the center band about 3/16". I don't think a pen will work like that. Do you have a pencil kit lying around?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I can assure you the pen will not work properly with the tubes reversed.

The pencil, I have no idea---so, based on "kovalcik", I would certainly give it a try!!

NittanyLion

Assuming it's not a click.....You could shorten the upper tube some till you get the right size. For the lower barrel you could remove the spacer on the nib and turn your own from aluminum to the dimensions of the actual lower bushing.....or possibly just get rid of the spacer and shorten the threaded section. Either way, it's a good pen for your pen jar:)

Lucky2

Put them in the trash can, that way you won't always be looking at them. Having them in view just reminds you continually of the bushing mistake, to me that would be like having someone nagging at me all the time.
Len

cwolfs69

give them hug, place in round receptacle sitting on floor. on trash day, make sure round receptacle is emptied. no use fretting, toss them and chalk it up to learning. bet you don't do that again soon. DAMHIKT

Tim'sTurnings

I did that to a Cigar pen ONCE and I couldn't figure out how it could work. So I just turned off the beautiful wood blank and saved the tubes.
Tim.

mrcook4570

I once 'heard' about someone making that mistake before. Cut or sand the black plastic part of the refill until it extends the proper distance when installed in the pen. If my memory is correct, you will need to remove about 2/3 - 3/4 of the black plastic to shorten the refill to the appropriate length. If you do this, do not give away or sell the pen because of the 'special needs' refill.

randyrls

To keep from doing this in the future, mount the bushings and tubes on the lathe. Make sure they are in the proper order, then use the sharp corner of a triangular file to mark each bushing with grooves; 1, 2, 3, and 4. I use TBC bushings so there are four bushings in my set.

Tom T

I have over turned a few pens when making simple euros. And had them them finished. To my surprise another brand of pen was a smaller diameter. I still had to do a little more turning but saved the pen. Then refinished it. Not sure that is an option with what you have.
I think I had a WC and craft supply. Not 100% sure. I even got to do it more than once. It was Bethlehem olive wood so it was worth the save. Just. Thought.

kovalcik

Just checked and I have 1 cigar pencil kit left. It is 24K Gold. If you want I will send it to you and you can salvage what you have. Let me know here or by PM.

switch62

Find the difference in the barrel lengths and then make some plastic/pick guard washers. The washers can go each end of the barrel before you press in the nib and transmission holder.

My cigar kits also have a nib that can be unscrewed apart, a washer can be added here as well. My kits have a tube difference of 5/32" (4mm). I'd make 2 washers 2/32" and another of 1/32".

Cigar mod.jpg

Tony O

Top Bottom