wrinkly plating

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rifleman1776

Just finished an African Blackwood Baron with titanium platium plating. Pen turned out OK but I am unhappy with the wrinkly plating on the tip. For a premium grade kit I would expect better. The photo doesn't show the wrinkles very well. The specks are from a dirty scanning screen. Hard to get a good picture with the contrasts. Does this sort of thing happen often?

200561214430_abw%20Baron%20plat.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Deere41h

I have never seen the problem. I would talk to BB about it. Might even send him the tip. I'm sure the manufacturer will replace it. By the way that's a great looking pen.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Frank.. just email or call Bill.. he will replace it... his customer service is good.. you should have no problems.. in fact you should have called him the first time you saw the problem.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Old Griz
<br />Frank.. just email or call Bill.. he will replace it... his customer service is good.. you should have no problems.. in fact you should have called him the first time you saw the problem.

I don't remove the parts from the plastic bags until assembly so didn't notice until last minute. Y'll might find this hard to believe [:I] but I hate being a complainer. Especially when I know Bill Baumbeck isn't the manufacturer and his parts come as kits. He would have to break a kit to replace the tip. But, as you say, he should know so he can communitate with his source and manufacturer.
I'll e-write him.

Rifleman1776

I stumbled across this old topic while looking for something else. In fairness to Bill Baumbeck and his suppliers, I am following up. I did send the parts in question back to Bill and he graciously exchanged them. He also wrote me to explain that the plating was not wrinkly even though it appeared so. The metal of the pen parts was not milled or polished smooth and that is what caused the wrinkled appearance. Somebody in QC in China wasn't paying attention. Returning the bad part was beneficial. Bill was able to notify his sources of the situation and, presumably, the message got back to China for improvements in the QC department there.

GregD

Frank,
As much as we hate to do it, complaining usually pays off. It's to our benefit to make sure the parts we get are made properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom