WPP Platinum/Black Chrome Cigar Mod

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russianwolf

figured it was time to put this up where people could see it.

I'll do this in a couple post since I took too many pics.

The only problems with this kit is that the platings on the parts is appearantly too thick. You can see in the 1st pic below that the two parts that this affects are the tranny holder and the centerband. In the 2nd pic, you'll see that the centerband will not sit flush on the tranny holder. Yes, it can be forced, but the fit will be so tight that the pen will not operate properly.

The 3rd pic shows the inside of the centerband, where we'll be making the modification. What we have to do is remove a small amount of material form the inside of the centerband. maybe a 64th of an inch for about an 8th inch deep so the to parts will fit freely.

I do this in the jacobs chuck, as in pic 4. Don't over tighten or you can distort the part that will be pressed into the tube later.

The 5th pic so what it looks like after I've skewed a bit of material out. I usually do these several at a time so that I'm not setting up over and over again.

Attachments

• Modification1.jpg
    Modification1.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 155
  • Modification2.jpg
    Modification2.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 146
  • Modification3.jpg
    Modification3.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 137
  • Modification4.jpg
    Modification4.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 172
  • Modification5.jpg
    Modification5.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russianwolf

Pic 6 shows the inside of the centerband after I've finished. With a little care, you won't even scratch the mating surface on the bottom that butts against the tranny holder. It remains hidden so if you do scratch it, no big deal.

Pic 7 shows that now the two parts fit together as they should. I actually test fit while the piece is still in the lathe.

Hope this helps anyone who has run into the problem on these kits. It's has got to be the most refined looking of the Cigars. Even better than the Ultra s in my opinion.

You could also remove material from the inside with a round file or a dremel, I just prefer doing it on the lathe.

Attachments

• Modification6.jpg
    Modification6.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 128
  • Modification7.jpg
    Modification7.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 150

Sylvanite

I've gone through a lot of the WoodPenPro "factory seconds" cigar kits, and several of them had this problem. I got around it by reaming out the centerband with a drill bit.

I too, like the black chrome plating instead of the enamel coating. It makes for a much classier looking pen.

Regards,
Eric

Top Bottom